Railroad Forums 

• Lease locomotives

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#277331  by U-Haul

Why does New York Susquehanna & Western not lease a gaggle of EMDs that are in almost every lease fleet from LTEX to CEFX? Why did NYS&W lease its SD70Ms and can they revoke the lease so NYS&W can use them again?

#277346  by RichM

Answer to question 1: Cost
Answer to question 2: Cost

Cheaper to lease or buy a couple of old tunnel motors or other oddballs and gain revenue on the differential on the 70's.

The big guys have taken up most of the fleet leases. The shortlines get what's left.

If NYS&W had time sensitive cargo on regularly scheduled interchange runs, they'd be running 70's or dash 9's now too.

#277390  by dlw1151

RichM wrote:Answer to question 1: Cost
Answer to question 2: Cost

Cheaper to lease or buy a couple of old tunnel motors or other oddballs and gain revenue on the differential on the 70's.

The big guys have taken up most of the fleet leases. The shortlines get what's left.

If NYS&W had time sensitive cargo on regularly scheduled interchange runs, they'd be running 70's or dash 9's now too.

So, Don't you love garbage? :wink: :P

#277403  by RichM

I love garbage. I love municipal solid waste, I love construction demolition materials.
I love that it's keeping this railroad running.
I love that the junk is going to commercially managed landfills and not being dumped at the end of a dirt road by a Soprano-type carting company.
I love not seeing the equivalent of a hundred or so overloaded, forty-foot roll-offs speeding west on I-80 every night.
I love that the dopey politicians in New Jersey are getting outfoxed with their shake-down fees, permits and licenses.

It's all good, right?

#277408  by railroadcarmover

RichM wrote:I love garbage. I love municipal solid waste, I love construction demolition materials.
I love that it's keeping this railroad running.
I love that the junk is going to commercially managed landfills and not being dumped at the end of a dirt road by a Soprano-type carting company.
I love not seeing the equivalent of a hundred or so overloaded, forty-foot roll-offs speeding west on I-80 every night.
I love that the dopey politicians in New Jersey are getting outfoxed with their shake-down fees, permits and licenses.

It's all good, right?

Nicely put Rich,
I would like to add that i too love to see this stuff ship by rail.
I also love to see Trackmobiles pushing and pulling the railcars around the transfer stations.

Seeing the trucks of smelly garbage on route 1 driving like maniacs in the fast lane is something i do not wish to deal with

#277425  by U-Haul

Thanks for all the responses. Some say there will be 1 million trucks on the road in (I think) a decade. That is horse manure since "The reduced friction of steel wheels on steel track is 10 (ten) times as energy efficent as highway travel." "A single locomotive with 2 persons can move the same amount of freight as 70 drivers and 70 semitractors."

This is from the 08/07/06 U.S News & World Report.

#294136  by GOLDEN-ARM

Counting the number of containers, and trailers, on a large "Z" train, I would say that it's safe to say, a train can easily replace up to 450 drivers, and trucks, in a single shot. (30 articulated platform cars, five platforms per, with 3 containers per platform, is 450) A couple of dozen boxcars, would satisfy that 70 driver number, you "found".