Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#859773  by Eliphaz

Specific New York Central passenger cars.
Ive developped a method to build up specific window arrangements out of styrene on N scale Con Cor passenger cars.
This one will be 12 bedroom "Port" class.
I'm also working on a 10-6 "River"
Hickory creek was an exercise.
Attachments:
HickoryCreek054800.jpg
HickoryCreek054800.jpg (131.57 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
Portsidefitup013.jpg
Portsidefitup013.jpg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
 #860146  by Jers2709

Here it is, all back together and running on Andy Rubbo's Northeast Corridor layout:

"The Twilight Shoreliner, train 66 running on Andy Rubbo's Northeast Corridor layout, with a Walther's Viewliner marker lights burning bright"
 #860280  by Otto Vondrak

Eliphaz wrote:Specific New York Central passenger cars. Ive developped a method to build up specific window arrangements out of styrene on N scale Con Cor passenger cars.
This one will be 12 bedroom "Port" class. I'm also working on a 10-6 "River" Hickory creek was an exercise.
Cool project, thanks for sharing! Share more photos when you can...
 #860281  by Otto Vondrak

Jers2709 wrote:What's everyone's latest project? Mine was installing a pair of marker lights in a Walthers Viewliner...
Nice, so how'd you do it?

-otto-
 #860288  by ns3010

I've been working on an Island Model Works PL42AC. Here's what it currently looks like:

I messed up some of the striping, so I need another set before I can finish it.
 #862526  by timberley

My last project was mounting the Associated Model Makers (AMM) resin LRC locomotive shell kit I had built and detailed onto a heavily modified Athearn frame.

I built the shell over the last few months, adding all the detail parts which I either scrtachbuilt (windshield wipers, grabs, uncoupling lever, markers, ditchlights) or kitbashed (horn, marker light frames). I painted the shell with True Line Paints, added Microscale decals, then mounted it on a modified Athearn U36B frame, adding the side frames included in the kit. The locomotive is unpowered.
 #862549  by FL9AC

I'm toying with a few projects...HO scale Branford Hobbies FL-9 going to be either a Metro-North or CDOT unit, a Stewart F unit I'm modifying into a Metro-North F10 for someone at work, HO scale Atlas RS36 which is going to be LA&L 418...probably selling it when it's done and I started one of six n-scale Island Model Works comet/bombardier cars...this one is a CDOT cab car. I just have to figure out how to mount the trucks so they work and swivel correctly :wink: .

#862972  by green_elite_cab

Cool on the cab car and FL9

I think my "newest" project will be a pair of Silverliner IIIs. They look easier to build and power than my Arrow IIIs. Not sure which way i should paint them, Keystones or Mating worms? I can't seem to find any with SEPTA "meatball" markings (not the blocks)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... 5C2888.jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... 5C2892.jpg
 #863490  by Cadet57

Finishing laying the track and wiring a 4'x4' expansion. Includes a 5 track stub yard with interchange track and 2 track station.
 #864249  by conrail71

I just finished doing a Conrail/RDG paint-out SD-45 #6101. Up next will be to build an undec SD-45 into the former EL Bicentennial unit as she was before being repainted.
Mike
 #864260  by green_elite_cab

conrail71 wrote:I just finished doing a Conrail/RDG paint-out SD-45 #6101. Up next will be to build an undec SD-45 into the former EL Bicentennial unit as she was before being repainted.
Mike

You make a Dual-directional cab?
 #864292  by conrail71

Nah, I subscribe to the "close enough for me" theory of model railroading! :wink:

Mike
 #864298  by green_elite_cab

Ah. It doesn't seem to tricky to do, but i'd like to see someone else make one first. I think that if i had a spare cannon &Co cab kit, i could splice one up.
 #865144  by green_elite_cab

The new silverliner III i have on borrowed GSI trucks from an Arrow III kit. I'm probably going to have to strip off the paint on it, and I'll have to fill in the holes on the cab end with plastic rod (only the pantograph end would have the steps that these holes were meant for). It looks like i'll also need to rebuild the window frames on the cab ends somehow. I already filled in one or two gouges, and sanded them flush easily.

The other Silverliner III is in rougher condition, needing a new insulator, and the floor/frame needs to be rebuilt to fit the shell. The kits are otherwise pretty simple, i wish i got them new. They come with a complete detailed frame, frame, an interior, a "patch" for the motor opening (for dummy cars), and provisions for couplers and pantograph attachment. the kits initially came with plastic pans, though it looks like the person i bought it from included at least two good Metroliner metal pantographs, and two more junky ones.

I hope to get my whole MU fleet in some sort of shape in the next year. Everything but my MP54 kits, and a few "to far gone" metroliner cars are here.