Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1248645  by timberley

Nice job so far on that P42!

I'm also interested in seeing how those multi-levels come out. They're something I might like to try down the road at some point, since Montreal's AMT also runs them. Actually it's kind of interesting...there's a lot of overlap between NJ Transit and AMT, in that they are the two original buyers for both the multi-levels and the ALP45DP, AMT also has Comet IIs, and AMT has leased F40PH-2CATs and GP40FH-2s from NJT over the last few years. It's part of the reason why I've enjoyed watching the NJ Transit modelling threads on here...well, that and the fact that NJT has some pretty cool equipment (I'm really partial to the looks of the PL42AC...:-P)
 #1248783  by scharnhorst

My latest project was converting an Atlas N Scale GP30 from a low hood to a high hood!
Attachments:
DSC07612.JPG
DSC07612.JPG (112.33 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
 #1248797  by deandremouse

This Re-Purposed Bachmann G38 will be getting a new life as North Shore Railroad 2017,

And I posted this in the Yahoo group for commuter modelers, this is a in progress GP40WH-2 i'm waiting on some backordered detail parts then I'll start working on it more.

#1248816  by jogden

My latest project is the (re)construction of my layout. Let me explain.

I had a layout that I started nearly two years ago. It was L shaped and designed to fit in a bedroom, and would be a switching layout. Fast forward about six months, and I was offered a job in a different state, which I had been wanting for some time. Taking the job was a no brainer, but it meant the layout would have to move. Fortunately, I had thought of this, and the layout was built in sections. I unbolted the sections, and off we went.

Upon finding an apartment I realized that while I had designed my layout to be somewhat portable, I had failed to take into consideration that its new home might be in a room of a different size. Sure enough, we moved it 2700 miles only to find that in its original configuration, it would fit in exactly zero rooms in our new apartment. So I had a solution for that, I cut off one side of the L and made it an I. Seemed simple enough, except the shorter side was what would fit in the space, and most of the switching was on the side that was removed. Because the layout lost its primary purpose in existing, I lost interest, and it became a storage yard.

Earlier this week I had a bit of a revelation in the layout design department, and decided to start over. My layout at that point was serving no purpose other than clutter storage, so dismantling it was not particularly painful. Now I have the benchwork for the new layout about half assembled, and hope to finish that tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pictures once that is done, because right now it is a mess of lumber and sawdust. The new layout will offer more switching opportunities in about 60% of the space, and fits on top of some shelves that are already in place in the room. It will be smaller, which will allow me to finish it without losing interest, and give me a little more breathing room in the spare bedroom.
 #1256287  by timberley

Pretty well finished my Trackmobile! Might add sand lines, and that's it.

Other projects in the works right now (all in HO scale):

Locomotives
-Athearn P42: Just finished stripping and priming, and will be painting in VIA Rail colours soon.
-GP40FH-2: Recently acquired an IHP GP40FH-2 shell (thanks to another member on here). Just finished installing overland brass fans on it, and will be getting it cleaned up for priming shortly. I'll be painting it up as one of the units that Montreal's AMT leased from NJT for a few years.

Passenger cars
-VIA Rail Pullman-Standard lunch counter car - Athabasca brass sides on an Eastern Car Works (ECW) core kit with Train Station Products (TSP) trucks and other details.
-VIA sleeper "Greendale" - an ex-B&M PS fluted 6-4-6 sleeper. Union Station Products (USP) sides on an ECW core kit with TSP trucks.
-VIA Rail HEP-1 #8139 - ex-NYC (and a few other lives in between) Budd coach refurbished by AMF in the '90s for VIA Rail service, still running today. USP sides on a Walthers Budd coach.
-VIA Rail HEP-2 #4116, and two other HEP-2s in the 4105-4109 series - ex-Amtrak/ex-SP Budd coaches refurbished for VIA by AMF in the '90s, in Corridor service today. USP sides on Walthers Budds.
-VIA Rail Budd Slab-Side Baggage - ex-UP baggage refurbed for VIA in the '90s, in service today. Just added the slab-side fluting from USP, so this one's pretty well ready for paint.
-WalthersProto Amfleet - got my first PhIVb coach, need to add additional decals, weather lightly.

Freight Cars
-Have a few Intermountain CN cylindrical hopper kits to build.

I've also got a pair of O scale FA units to paint for a friend, an E6A+B set in N scale that I'm painting for a customer, and a quartet of Rapido resin LRC kits to finish painting for another friend! So needless to say, I've got more than enough to work on for right now!
 #1258743  by deandremouse

Current Project:

I'm currently working on Central California Traction 2101 a BL21CG... [Genset]
was shelved for over a year so I never finished it.

-Need to finish sanding that putty/Body filler upper halves then add a few more details

Proto Photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p3subhunter/6328457436/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1259316  by Montrealrail1

I will present my actual project..

I havec one Accurail CN Autorack unfinished,some missing pieces,avec a 50 feet box car,getting a broken coupler end..
I get them and started to do a project with them

I did wood pile with coffee sticks that I cutted,I will need to paint them and glue them to the flat car,them I taked off box car trucks to make the box car load on a flat car..

After the wood pieces will be painted and glued,I will add some tiny chains,On my area,I just have to got at dollar store and get joalry chain,I will only have to paint it in silver an glue parts around to simulate the holding chains like in real life..

Only question I have,it's how to make chaging form to the box car..I thinked about heat it enough to make it soft and model the new form,making look like wrecked car and add weathering after..
 #1260525  by timberley

More good stuff on here. @Montrealrail, that's a neat looking flatcar load. Will definitely look good with some chains on it. @deandremouse, looking forward to seeing how that BL20CG turns out, it's a pretty cool loco. I can see you've got a LOT of sanding to do! And @greenelitecab, those Arrow IIs are looking good. Can't say I know a lot about the prototype, but they do look like it.

My latest project was detailing an Athearn RTR SW1000 to better match the prototype VIA #202. Here's a little graphic showing what I changed to make the model a better match for the prorotype in its present form, and then a few photos of the finished switcher. VIA 202 is one of only two switchers on the VIA Rail roster, and along with 204 it toils behind the scenes at the Montreal Maintenance Centre, moving cars and assembling trains.

#1260668  by deandremouse

timberley

Amazing work! I like the modifications & enhancements you've done it really makes the switcher look as real as one can get.

Not to nitpick but doesn't 202 have a speed recorder on the left rear truck on the last axle?
 #1261014  by timberley

deandremouse wrote:timberley

Amazing work! I like the modifications & enhancements you've done it really makes the switcher look as real as one can get.

Not to nitpick but doesn't 202 have a speed recorder on the left rear truck on the last axle?
Thanks!

And yes, you're absolutely right. I didn't have a speed recorder on hand, but now I'll see if I can pick one up and add it as well. If we wanted to get really nitpicky, there are a few other discrepancies too: the grab "laddder" on the engineer's side of the hood should be moved over between the two sets of louvers, instead of being beside them; the front and rear handrails should not have a chain, but instead should have too solid bars across (one rod at the top, one flat bar about half way down); the side handrails are also weird - there should be the older style end railing (as you would have with the hood-mounted rail), then the additional side railings have been built to come up to it but not connect with or replace it. Have a good look at this photo, and you'll see both of those things: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=19321

I had reasons for opting against each of those detail mods: the grabs would be a major nuisance to do while maintaining the factory paint, so I passed on them (they don't both me much). The handrails are just a major p.i.t.a. to do with that flimsy plastic Athearn uses. I tried to make the end mods on my other switcher (201), and found it nearly impossible to get anything to stick to those railings. So maybe I'll give it a shot in the future, but for now, I'm happy with it.
 #1261868  by mlrr

AEM7ACs

This is the most recently completed AEM7AC number 948. It is one of four total that I have built/in the process of building.

Here is a shot of four of the five AEM7 custom paint jobs that I did. Can you spot the DC unit? :-)

I haven't resumed work on 929 mainly because I'm meeting my AEM7 fleet requirements. Anything over what is already declared active on my railroad would be excess. I do want to finish 929 at some point however so that it's not a wasted effort.