Railroad Forums 

• Latest CN buying rumor - is EJ&E next?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#632414  by RockIslandU33B

So, on this first day post-ej&e i was interested to know if anyone has heard anything regarding the J's locomotive fleet? I would imagine the new Gary rr will retain most of the fleet as the vast majority of the traffic originated and terminated on the lines not sold to CN yes? Thanks for the insight!

Kevin
 #632989  by doepack

RockIslandU33B wrote:So, on this first day post-ej&e i was interested to know if anyone has heard anything regarding the J's locomotive fleet? I would imagine the new Gary rr will retain most of the fleet as the vast majority of the traffic originated and terminated on the lines not sold to CN yes? Thanks for the insight!

Kevin
The immediate fate of the J's power is unknown, it'll probably depend on what kind of agreement CN is able to implement with the shop personnel; but I figure they won't disappear overnight. Get your pics while you can, though...
 #633399  by JamesT4

I was on the CN website looking around, and seen a letter from the CN website from the CEO for the communities that live along the EJ&E railway that was posted on 2/2/09.

Link.
http://www.cn.ca/en/company-proposed-aq ... t-EJ-and-E
February 2, 2009

An Open Letter to Residents of Communities Along the EJ&E Railway:
On January 31, CN completed its acquisition of the principal lines of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway Co. (EJ&E), an important but under-utilized rail line that rings the city of Chicago. In addition to helping to relieve the rail congestion that has plagued the Chicago region for decades, the transaction brings economic benefits to the area and goes a long way toward ensuring Chicago's continued role as the “rail hub” of North America.

Even with these benefits, we at CN also recognize this transaction will result in increased rail traffic on the EJ&E, raising environmental issues in some suburban communities along the line as CN re-routes trains onto the EJ&E over the next three years.

Knowing that much work lies ahead, we pledge to all communities along the EJ&E line that CN will share information, listen to your concerns and collaborate with your officials to identify and implement creative solutions to lessen the impact on individual affected communities. We make this commitment because doing the right thing is who we are. Our own employees – more than 1,700 of whom are Illinois and Indiana residents, with many living in the Chicago suburbs and northwest Indiana – expect it of CN.

For the Chicago region and across the nation, rail transportation is crucial to industry, commerce, and the environment. And, past decades have proven that economic development and quality of life do not have to be mutually exclusive. We are committed to working with communities to balance the two.

We know we have much work to do at CN, not only to keep the rail network efficient and safe, but also to earn the confidence of and forge working relationships with EJ&E communities that will be new to our network. Some communities may continue to oppose our efforts, but we intend to let our actions earn their respect and confidence.

Sincerely,

E. Hunter Harrison
President and Chief Executive Officer
CN
I hated to see the J go myself, I got some photos, and I am going to get some more J engine photos, before CN move them around or retire them.

I might be going off topic here but with CN owning the J this is a big blow to Metra, in reguards to the STAR Line.
 #646292  by atsf sp

The railroad has been split. US Steel will retain the end cab switchers and own and operate the Gary railroad. CN now owns the EJE West with all the road power. It is the end of another short line. I regret being in Chicago over the summer and not seeing the J.
 #647739  by Tadman

I think you'll have plenty of time to fan the "J" this summer. I'll be out there one or two afternoons in NW Indiana.
 #648252  by CG51

I live near the EJ&E Chicago Heights Junction, since the buyout i have been out getting as many pictures as i can before it is to late, here are a few.
 #648615  by Milwaukee_F40C

I was around West Chicago for a couple hours today looking for J diesels. Didn't see any but I did see CN's track inspection RDC heading railroad eastbound. I heard them on the scanner saying they were going to lay up in Joliet tonight and then head down the Illinois River line tomorrow morning. Maybe they will make it to Chicago Heights and Gary in a couple days.

Can anyone tell me where I might see a J diesel this week, if they are still making their usual rounds?
 #648669  by EJ&ESDM809

Between 6 and 7 a EJ&E train normally departs Joliet westbound. This train is JSW1, which runs down the Illinois River Line to the East Morris chemical plant (even though the plant is actually in Minooka). This train normally uses a pair of EJ&E SD38-2s and a caboose. There are several other trains to catch, such as the State Line, N-21, JSW3, the Long West and the Line Train, but since the takeover it seems the schedules aren't as consistant as they were under the J. Joliet Yard still has SW1200s and a SW1001 as the switchers, but it is a given that those will be gone, most likely sooner than later.

I also heard about the RDC using the Western Sub today. Yesterday they ran the Eastern Sub between Matteson and Joliet. They haven't ran Matteson to Gary yet so after they run the IRL, it would make sense to run on the line through Chicago Heights and Gary.
 #656067  by raisin

Anyone have any idea how many freights are being diverted off the St. Charles Air Line on a daily basis? It sure seems like I see a lot fewer freights now. Amtrak's still there, though.