Railroad Forums 

• Late 50's Montrealer route consists

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1291616  by davidp

I'm looking for information on typical consists of the joint NH-B&M-CV-CN New York - Montreal trains in the late '50s for a modeling project. There are quite a few pictures on-line of the daytime Ambassador from the 1960's, but I haven't found any from the late 50's. (I've read it was sometimes operated as an RDC train during that period). Photos of the Montrealer/Washingtonian seem to be almost completely absent, probably due to it's nocturnal passage though New England. The only thing I've been able to come up with is an equipment list in a 1959 NH timetable and a 1966 picture in Kevin Holland's book on Northern New England passenger trains. Any suggestion on sources of information and pictures would be welcome, as would answers anyone has to these specific questions -

- In the 60's B&M power was A&B F unit combos, with the occasional GP7/9 filling in. Did the E units work the river line before the B&M sold them, or was that always F-unit territory? How about on the CV after steam was retired (1957?)....always GP-9s or were CN cabs ever used as was the case with freight trains? Did power ever run through WRJ?

- Whose sleepers and coaches were used? The 1966 Montrealer picture shows a mix of CN and NH cars, as do most of the Ambassador pictures. Was this true in the 50's as well? The 1959 timetable lists bedroom, roomette, and berth accomodations, so presumably either NH "beach" series or CN cars provided the sections. I know NH "state" series 6BR-lounges provided buffet service in later years - were they assigned to the Montreal trains from when they first arrived in 1954? Holland notes the use of NH 14-4 "point" sleepers began in 1961....I'm guessing that Montrealer equipment might have been upgraded when the State of Maine was dropped.

- The only through car to DC in 1959 was a sleeper - again providing bedrooms, roomettes and berths. Was this a CN, PRR, or perhaps even NH car?

- Did the B&M contribute any cars other than the New York - WRJ setout sleeper? Prior to being sold off, were the B&M's streamlined coaches ever used on River line trains, or did they stay on North Station routes?

- The 1966 Montrealer photo shows an RPO. I think the Vermonter (WRJ - St. Albans) had been discontinued by then, so I'm wondering if the RPO had moved over from that train or was it always part of the Montrealer/Washingtonian consist?

Thanks in advance for any information!
 #1292831  by bmcdr

The E-7's did traverse the Conn River on many occasions, but I've never seen any photo evidence of CN cab units being used.

For a short time, 2 of B&M's stainless sleepers were re-named "DARTMOUTH COLLEGE I" and DARTMOUTH COLLEGE II" for use in "MONTREALER" service.

my e-mail address is [email protected] if you send me your e-mail, I can hook you up with a retired Army Col. in Virginia who is an absolute storehouse of knowledge when it comes to B&M passenger consists.