Railroad Forums 

• Last steam locomotive on the Eastern line through Lynn?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1267475  by canobiecrazy

Hi, I've been curious about something. What was the last time a steam locomotive ran on the eastern line? I imagine that after the last revenue steam service, MoW and snow plowing trains were operated by steam. Is there any record or photographs of the last steam-hauled train on the eastern line?
 #1267569  by Noel Weaver

It is pretty much agreed that the last use of steam on the Boston and Maine occurred around May, 1956. Having said that, the railroad kept a few P-2's available for emergency use at Boston for a bit longer. I seem to think I read of their use at least once or twice during the summer of 1956. I might have some more on this here somewhere but it will not be easy for me to dig for it anytime soon.
Noel Weaver
 #1267974  by jbvb

I have heard July 1956, but not a day, as the last mainline steam run. I don't know if it was a passenger train or light. If in-service, it would not have been a Portsmouth train, as that engine terminal was closed to steam well before the end. It would not have been snow plowing or MoW, as those (except for the snow melters operating within the Boston terminal) were entirely dieselized by the end of 1954.
 #1268090  by Noel Weaver

I have something on it here someplace, I will just have to dig and that is going to take some time. I do believe it was one or two revenue passenger trains between either Boston and Reading or Boston and Salem. I think it involved two P-2 Pacifics. I know they kept a small number of engines available in Boston for just such use well into 1956 after the last regualr service runs earlier that year.
Noel Weaver