Railroad Forums 

• Last operational steam loco on Pine Creek RR: where now?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#926720  by CTL10D

The last day steam operated at Pine Creek was January 1st, 2002. #26 has firebox issues and needs a fair amount of work. This is the last steam locomotive on property that the PCRR does not own, and will not be worked on until ownership issues are resolved. 1914 Porter 2-6-0 #46 is being completely restored in the shops right now. Its been a long slow project, but its getting there, hopefully only another yr or two and steam will be back. -Chris Lynch
 #926796  by GSC

I was there that New Year's Day and got some great snow pics.

Surry Sussex & Southampton 1920 2-6-2 #26, Cavan & Leitrim (Ireland) 1887 4-4-0T #3L "Lady Edith", and Ely-Thomas 1927 Shay #6 are all safely stored in the carbarn. Porter 1914 2-6-0 #46 is in the repair shop. The only thing "missing" is Quincy & Torch Lake 1912 2-8-0 #6, which went back home to Michigan.

Total restoration of #46, especially with tighter federal rules on pressure vessels, takes a long time. Making of parts and having enough people to do the work slows the process even more.

Gary Crawford, 43-year member NJMT Pine Creek RR
 #927419  by GSC

Chasing your own caboose with your loco doesn't offer much freight potential. However, the old Freehold & Jamesburg ROW is just twenty feet center-to-center parallel along the far straightaway. We could rebuilt the line to Farmingdale and get some of that MOM passenger service, run a shuttle to Allaire.

Dream on LOL

Actually, PCK was supposed to get some of the abandoned PRR ROW eastward to extend the line by about a mile, but the deal fell through.
 #947234  by GSC

What year was the snow Jan 1 runs? Great way to start that year.

I ran the Plymouth #5 that day, and my wet boot slipped off the clutch pedal and OWWWWWW! I clunked my shin against the edge of that pedal. Man, that hurt.

I ran and fired the Lady Edith, the Shay, and #26 over the years. Great memories. When I was in kindergarten, I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I answered that I wanted to be a locomotive engineer. I got my wish. Not many people left with our licenses, right Jim?

I also got to fire BR&W's 148 and 60, and New Hope's 1533.
 #947479  by Blackseal Jim

Never fun slipping off the #5's clutch pedal.I think all of us limp due to that! Its Funny Gary, my Blackseal renewal just came in the mail. Didnt know you'd fired so many loco's. VERY impressive. The snow was Jan 1 2001. Remember, that was the year NJ did the commercial , I got my boiler license & my marriage licence!
Jim H
 #949160  by GSC

Blackseal Jim wrote:Never fun slipping off the #5's clutch pedal.I think all of us limp due to that! Its Funny Gary, my Blackseal renewal just came in the mail. Didnt know you'd fired so many loco's. VERY impressive. The snow was Jan 1 2001. Remember, that was the year NJ did the commercial , I got my boiler license & my marriage licence!
Jim H
The commercial was fun. I was the conductor on the coach swinging the lantern. Eddie had a blast running the 26 that day. Got to showboat more than usual.

I got paid and got an NFL Films sweatshirt out of the deal.

Weird thing, the first people I knew who saw that commercial was my aunt in Florida, and my stepmom in Upstate NY. A New Jersey tourism commercial was seen everywhere but here first.

Was your license renewal a little expensive this time? The state sure got greedy. (I noticed you listed your locomotive license BEFORE you listed your marriage license. Hide this from Urs LOL)

I don't know if BR&W or New Hope would let "guest firemen" work today, the way insurance laws are. 148 was a new experience, as I never fired an oil burner before. Took some getting used to.
 #949161  by GSC

RailsEast wrote:Very impressive resume', Gary!
Thanks! All volunteer labor. Will look good in my obit LOL
 #949382  by Blackseal Jim

Just putting things in proper order Gary ! Got the NJ Black , then went for the marriage licence. Great day on that commercial. Ill never forget it. I remember though it was cold with a lot of snow on the ground. Havent got to use the black in a while, but the marriage one gets quite the workout !!!
Jim H
 #951081  by GSC

Marriage license in 1983, loco license in '86. Like you, I haven't been near a warm boiler for some time. Warm wife, all the time LOL

Planning on using my firing expertise as I try to figure out how to run that meat smoker we got.