Railroad Forums 

• Last NYAR consist of 2012 and one question

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1127790  by mirrodie

Left the gym and took stopped at the Pinelawn Rd crossing at 3:33 PM on Dec 31 2012.

All I saw was the consist backing into the siding, 271 and 268 backing up with a load of filled up hoppers.
Then they stopped, honked and notched up to run 8. Both engines bled billows of white smoke that cast a quick ground fog upon the patrons at Pinelawn as they began their trip east.

Always content to see workhorses in action. One question though: I also saw this twice at the Wellwood Ave crossing. I'll come to the crossing with the cars in action and the engines first make a backward move before proceeding forward. They move back maybe about 1-3 carlengths and then just plunge forward and clear the siding. Any reason why? Thank you.
 #1128107  by tj48

Oddly enough my daughter and myself were waiting in my car at the Pinelawn Road crossing that day and saw the same thing. The backup move was exactly that. They picked up either the conductor or brakeman who climbed up into the cab of the second engine.
 #1128576  by mirrodie

Cool. THanks. I figured it was something 'procedural'

ON a move like that, with a short forward, backward and then forward movement, and under such a heavy load..... is picking up the slack ever an issue?
 #1128841  by KEN PATRICK

it was, indeed, to pick up crew. imagine having to walk 100 car lengths on ballast. this is one reason why railroads resist road train set-offs & pick ups. also consider train air and car-handling. ken patrick