Railroad Forums 

• last night in Wyandanch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #542397  by LRail

In the Newsday photo is seemed like the boxcar was at an unprotected crossing? Was it backing into the container customer?
-Lee

#542588  by tj48

The photo is pretty dark. Its either that one or the short spur leading to the Amerigas siding.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffo ... 8037.story
Although I wonder if the author of the article was even there.
1. Either of those sidings can be crossed without going around crossing gates.
2. When did they build a freight yard in Wyandanch???? :wink:

#542595  by Sir Ray

tj48 wrote:2. When did they build a freight yard in Wyandanch????
Just recently, to store the huge new fleet of "New York Atlantic Railroad" boxcars.

#542780  by jayrmli

Based on the lighting in the picture, and the lack of Snewsday to ever accurately report a railroad-related news article, I would venture to guess that the train was shoving cars into the Combine Container siding, which is not crossing 18th Street, but Merrit Avenue. The siding is unprotected, and needs to be "flagged" by a crew member.

Both freight customers in Wyandanch have been a safety concern for years, and complaints from crews stating that the area is an accident waiting to happen go ignored by those in power. In fact, the only picture that comes to mind is an ostrich burying their head in the sand.

Maybe another lawsuit aimed at the railroad and a little public scrutiny will wake them up. Then again, maybe not. :wink:

Jay
 #542857  by Sir Ray

Jay
What would be a solution - the area seems straightforward to me - not sure what could be done? Barrier gates for sidings seem like massive overkill.

Closing the road(s) to traffic or dropping the customers are unacceptable non-solutions.
 #542916  by jayrmli

The solution is to protect the crossing as the rules dictate. This means lighting fusees, stopping all movement to ensure the crossing is clear, and have the brakeman on the job protect the crossing during the entire movement while the conductor spots the customer. This can't happen on a two man crew. I've seen enough times the conductor, working by himself on the ground, riding the cars through the woods, looking out on the street and giving an all clear. It works great until a car comes speeding along. The propane customer is even worse - two busier crossings and the cars crossing both on a curve.

Those in charge know of the dangers - but to do something about it would cost time and money. It's just a lot easier to throw away the safety report filed by the crews and claim they never got it.
 #543069  by jayrmli

From what I've been able to find out, it was on the spur going to Combined Container as I thought. Apparently, the crew member did use fusees and was protecting the crossing, but it wasn't enough to deter the 70 year old man from stopping.

I've seen it happen there many times before, they see someone flagging the crossing, and rather than hit the brakes, they hit the gas.

At least Snewsday got the caption right "Car hits train." Usually, it is reported as "Train Hits Car."

Jay
 #547613  by RPM2Night

What's the speed-limit on the road that crosses the container customer and gas customer in Wyandanch? Is the street marked with painted cross bucks on the pavement and upright cross bucks near the crossings?

How many crew members are there usually on NYAR trains?
 #547698  by jayrmli

What's the speed-limit on the road that crosses the container customer and gas customer in Wyandanch? Is the street marked with painted cross bucks on the pavement and upright cross bucks near the crossings?

How many crew members are there usually on NYAR trains?
This is Wyandanch we're talking about. There is no speed limit. :-D

There are no crossbucks or warning signs anywhere along the street to warn a motorist that there is a railroad crossing there. Neither is there at the gas siding. This is one of the issues that have been brought up many times in the past, and have been ignored.

For the most part, NYAR crews are down to two. If there is a trainee around, there may be three. From what I've been hearing, there may be a mass-exodus from the roster shortly which at present resembles a skeleton. Who knows what they will do then.

Jay
 #548225  by RPM2Night

Is everyone leaving in favor of other railroads that pay more? I would definitely apply to work there if only the pay was more.
 #548255  by jayrmli

Is everyone leaving in favor of other railroads that pay more?
That's probably a big part of it. I'm sure for some, there are other factors as well. Quality of life issues, asking more work of you with no additional raises on the horizon, forced to accept contracts where you give back more than you get. Many of the personalities there probably don't help either.