Railroad Forums 

• Larry's Truck & Electric Locomotive on FEC

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#93641  by ACLfan

I stopped by New Smyrna Beach over the weekend, and noticed a Larry's Truck & Electric locomotive unit (LTEX) at the FEC Shops area!

The locomotive was in solid black with white lettering/road numbers. At first glance, I figured that was a former NS unit. Then, I noticed the "Tunnel Motor" configuration, and realized that it was a former SP SD40T-2 unit that Larry's had picked up, and was earning some $$ out of its usage.

Still not sure why it was on the FEC, and at the FEC shops. Lots of guesses!

A real surprise to see!

ACLfan

#93697  by 262

There is some talk about this unit on the FEC Yahoo Site.They say there are three units leased from Larrys Truck and Eletric.They identify them as SD45-T2s.Only one has been out on the road so far.One poster stated the lease deal is payment for hours used in service only.Speculation is two of the engines where not serviceable on arrival.No one has been able to find out if any of them still have the original equiptment 20 cylinder diesels.
 #129637  by Noel Weaver

For what it is worth, a black engine number 6882 was in the consist of a
southbound through Fort Lauderdale a little after midnight this date.
Saw two big trains go through here last evening, one a huge van train with
stacks, containers and vans the second one another big train with around
60 cars of new autos on the head end followed by another bunch of vans.
Noel Weaver

#129918  by 262

Yes Noel,I suspect they are trying to get all the dogs home before sunrise.A crew from Herzog has been removing the bolt stay clips on every second and third sleeper,cleaning the tops of the sleepers with a leaf blower and cutting the rails on both sides of the street grade crossings and fitting them with fish plates.From Daina to Hallandale For the last two months.About two ago weeks a rail train dropped new ribbon rail along the R.O.W. Thursday an F.E.C. crew using a hi-rail back hoe excavator and a hi-rail front end loader equipt with an electro magnet moved the new rail inside the gauge north of Pembroke Rd. Today they were installing new rail north of Pembroke Rd.
 #132019  by Noel Weaver

Another black engine went through Fort Lauderdale at 12:20 AM on
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 northbound. This one had LTE on the hood and
was numbered 9201. Four engines on that train and the train was not too
big, probably a power balancing move.
Also saw a southbound earlier with three GP's and about 90 cars of new
automobiles.
Noel Weaver