Railroad Forums 

• Largest NE Bridge Steel Fabricator to Begin Shipping by Rail

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1378433  by artman

From PPH:

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/04/04/b ... -portland/

Bridge steel fabricator grows across South Portland

Casco Bay Steel Structures is in the midst of a cross-city, multimillion-dollar expansion to acquire coveted railroad and harbor access that’s expected to push Casco Bay Steel into wider markets along the Eastern Seaboard.

Over the last two years, the company has spent $3 million buying two industrial properties near its plant on Wallace Avenue to establish rail access at Rigby Yard. Construction of a 1,200-foot rail spur is scheduled to be completed this summer at a cost of $300,000, said Bryon Tait, president and CEO of Casco Bay Steel.

The ability to get 170-foot-long girders off the road and onto rail cars and barges is expected to save Casco Bay Steel time and money, open new markets, and double again its annual production to 30,000 tons within five years, Tait said.

More work for PanAm!
 #1378486  by ericofmaine

BostonUrbEx wrote:Wasn't the Saco Industrial Track also being extended to their small facility there? Is that still going forward?
Yes, its been complete and receiving cars for a couple of months now. You can see it right adjacent to the Turnpike.

Eric
 #1378507  by MEC407

That was how it sounded to me when I was reading the article.

Also, love this part:
Portland Press Herald wrote:Last year, he bought a 4.5-acre wedge of vacant land from Pan Am Railways for $466,200. Negotiating with the notoriously tough rail company proved challenging.

“I should have read Donald Trump’s ‘The Art of the Deal’ first,” Tait said.
 #1378582  by CN9634

newpylong wrote:Can anyone decipher what this means for rail?

Steel in and completed structures out of both facilities? To the dock in Turners?
Sounds like loads both ways, but likely rely on inbound raw materials more than outbound fast JIT service.
 #1378592  by KSmitty

Mikejf wrote:The expansion site was another steel company originally. They used railroad cranes to load and unload the bigger pieces.
The old Megquire & Jones facility.
They still have an American crane on the property. And plan to do quite a bit of track work coming up. As I understand it, they want to be able to bring cars into the shop building, which isn't currently possible as most of the trackage on the property is buried. They've also got a lot of stuff in front of the overhead doors, and some oil tanks for the heaters on a couple of the tracks...
 #1378638  by Mikejf

KSmitty wrote:
Mikejf wrote:The expansion site was another steel company originally. They used railroad cranes to load and unload the bigger pieces.
The old Megquire & Jones facility.
They still have an American crane on the property. And plan to do quite a bit of track work coming up. As I understand it, they want to be able to bring cars into the shop building, which isn't currently possible as most of the trackage on the property is buried. They've also got a lot of stuff in front of the overhead doors, and some oil tanks for the heaters on a couple of the tracks...
Yes, that was it. Been a few years since I have been by for a look. Soumds like a big improvement for Casco Bay