Railroad Forums 

• Landlocked at Dansville?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1507869  by mkirsch

I took a run down I390 last Saturday to go to an auction, and at around milepost 37.8 or 38.7 on 390, I glanced over and saw that the rail bridge over a creek had been barricaded off from both sides with what appeared to be posts or ties driven into the ground, and orange snow fence. Looks to me like they don't want anything crossing that bridge. Verified on the way back to Rochester, and yup, it's barricaded off pretty well. Not enough to stop even a slow moving train, obviously, but a collapsing bridge dropping the lead locomotive into the creek would do that quite handily...

When I got down to Dansville, I saw American Motive Power's yard had several units on the tracks. As I was driving at the time I couldn't really concentrate on what they were but there were definitely at least three bright orange BNSF 6-axle units sitting there, a couple of blue locomotives, and possibly others.

As this is the only access to Dansville via rail, seems like all that equipment is landlocked to me.
 #1507871  by scottychaos

Thats a double track bridge, from the double track DL&W mainline.
but only one side and one track in use today..
the side closest to 390 is the abandoned side..
could the barricade possible be on that side only? to prevent ATV and dirt-bike riders from crossing it perhaps?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7021518 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locomotives for rebuild are running back and forth from AMP in Dansville all the time..
its quite active.

Scot
 #1507912  by Otto Vondrak

mkirsch wrote:As this is the only access to Dansville via rail, seems like all that equipment is landlocked to me.
A quick look at Google maps would reveal the answer to your question. Why would a locomotive rebuilder locate on an isolated line?

-otto-
 #1507921  by nydepot

The implication is not something found on a satelitte image from last year. The OP could be wondering if something happened recently, like a washout from the recent rain in WNY. So if indeed a bridge had failed from recent rain, the engines would be landlocked.

Scot seems to have the answer.
Otto Vondrak wrote:
mkirsch wrote:As this is the only access to Dansville via rail, seems like all that equipment is landlocked to me.
A quick look at Google maps would reveal the answer to your question. Why would a locomotive rebuilder locate on an isolated line?

-otto-
 #1507938  by MP366

R&S BL-1 delivered 3 units and 3 cars to the AMP facility on 5/3, so I assume there is still a live connection in place.
 #1507966  by mkirsch

I know the double-track bridge across Keshequa Creek that you're talking about and this wasn't it. This was a few miles further down the line, one of those short 10' bridges that spans a small creek.

It was the bridge at these coordinates: 42.691182, -77.810450

OBVIOUSLY, they wouldn't intentionally isolate the equipment. Yes, I am wondering if something happened to the bridge.

The posts and fence sure looked like they went across the entire rail grade there. Google maps does not show the barricades I saw.