Railroad Forums 

• Lakeport Drawbridge

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#878398  by ihdavis1

I'm just wondering but I've seen various pictures around of the Lakeport draw on the old BC&M and it almost looks like there might have been two side-by-side decks at one point. True or False?
 #909834  by ihdavis1

I recently found another picture http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... 826196.jpg of the Lakeport drawbridge that shows what seems to be solid proof that the bridge was once double tracked. Also, I remember finding a website which detailed of the original Lake Shore Railroad and it mentioned how the original bridge at Lakeport was removed and a drawbridge was installed. This bridge replacement seemingly would have eliminated the double track bridge as both lessened traffic and the difficulty of building such a bridge would have caused the double trackage to be eliminated.
 #909998  by engineer1008

You are correct, it was an unmovable bridge and the second track was the run around track or siding. After the bridge was put in by the the Lakeport Landing Marina, they needed a run around track so they built one just North of the present Lakeport Engine House. The trains of the Winnipesaukee Railroad uses the new track to do their run arund. The bridge is automated and controlled by the train crew. That is the only signal on the whole 73 miles between Concord and Lincoln.