Railroad Forums 

• Lake State Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#424791  by Luther Brefo

I read recently that the CMO of the Lake State Railways had left the company in pursuit of other work. I also read that the new CMO has been less than friendly to the Alcos and prefers other motors. There is also photographic evidence that at least one locomotive( an RS-2, of which there are few operating 244 powered RS-2s left in this country) was scrapped with the rest to follow suit as the railroad picks up more...EMDs... My questions are, how are the Alcos on the LSRC doing and what is left of them? And lastly, are they really planning to replace them all in short order?

#424876  by pablo

What's left in general up there?

David Becker

#424913  by MarkVZ

The two RS2's that were scrapped within the last few years (#468 and #4610) had long been deadlined and cannabilized for parts, so that came as no surprise. The RS-2 #469 (original engine) had suffered internal engine seal damage as a result of overheating, but has recently been put back into service and it is expected to return to it's post in Alpena as the local yard switcher.

The Alco S-1 #646 was recently sold and I believe it is still on LSRC property. I had heard that it was going to be trucked out, as it still has friction bearing trucks.

C420 #976 burned up a few years ago as a result of a burst fuel line and was scrapped along with the #468 and #4610.

The #698, the lone HR-412 on the LSRC is reported to have been placed out of service and is expected to be cannabalized for parts.

The #1195, a chop-nosed RS-11 suffered an electrical fire several years ago and was awaiting repair, though recent word has it that they have given up on the unit and expect to dispose of it.

A handful of MLW420's including #798 #3563, and #3515 #3504 and #3571 remain, staying mostly on the lighter rails of the northern routes. The EMD's and C425's seem to be populating the new Saginaw Bay Southern division of the LSRC. The MLW420 #3575 had been designated a parts souce when it arrived on LSRC property.

The four C425's were healthy last I knew, at least one of which has been converted to AC traction. These are the #181, #281, #381 and #1280.

The RS3M's (Morrison Knudsen 251 rebuilds) #974 and #975 have been active, though the #975 recently developed a bad crank. Rumor has it that it will receive the #698's crank. Last time I was in Michigan, (May 07) I caught the #974 with a work train at Omer.

The LSRC / SBS has purchased three GP38's (at least one of which is/has been converted from GP35), an SD-45, and most recently four GP40's.

I had talked to Mike Wood when LSRC began receiving it's first EMD's (GP38's) and he indicated that the market for used Alcos was becoming too thin, and that Alcos and Alco parts in good condition are becoming too expensive.

Mike's relocation to Marquette Rail is news to me. With him gone from the LSRC, I could certainly see the Also population getting thinned out. I expect more units to be retired as more major failures occur.
Last edited by MarkVZ on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

#425119  by thebigham

Thanks, Mark!

Chris

#425158  by MarkVZ

Other recent LSRC news:

The LSRC has moved it's locomotive shops from Alpena to the former CSX roundhouse in Saginaw. I toured the Saginaw shops last December, and cleaning and painting was taking place in preparation for the move. The roundhouse is now shared with the Bluewater group. I believe that LSRC/SBS has five stalls in this facility, while Bluewater retains the other five.

The LSRC/SBS was plagued with a series of derailments last fall and this spring, two of which were in the Tawas area, with others in Bay City and one on the former CSX line near Paines. A track improvement program is moving north on the Huron sub towards its destination in Alpena.

The LSRC recently filed a petition to abandon 4.15 miles of track from a point north of Grayling to the end of the line in Gaylord. This petition was recently denied, citing that at least one shipper on the line would be adversely affected by the abandonment. The city of Gaylord has joined local industry in fighting the abandonment. It is believed that the LSRC seeks to liquidate the property to finance other portions of the line. The denial states that the LSRC did not provide sufficient evidence to support their claims.

#450451  by thebigham

From LocoNotes at Yahoo Grups:

The Great Western RR of Saskatchewan has purchased from Lake State RR the following locomotives:

3563 M420 to be numbered GWR 2003
3571 M420 to be numbered GWR 2004

Ken McCutcheon
Assiniboia SK

#450971  by Patrick

thanks for linking to my site LSRC msn groups. So heres some other news regaurding the LSRC. ALL former CN M420's are for sale or have been sold and are waiting to leave the property. LSRC 2003 returned today as a GP38M. 1195 sadly will proabally be scrapped unless someone like the DL&W buys it. look for many more EMD units comeing this way, about 5 or 6 more of those GP40-3's. The C425's, the RS3's are all safe I have been told. the old D&M locos are all running good with the exception of the 975 which hopefully will get its new Prime mover soon.

#450981  by Alcoman

Patrick wrote:thanks for linking to my site LSRC msn groups. So heres some other news regaurding the LSRC. ALL former CN M420's are for sale or have been sold and are waiting to leave the property. LSRC 2003 returned today as a GP38M. 1195 sadly will proabally be scrapped unless someone like the DL&W buys it. look for many more EMD units comeing this way, about 5 or 6 more of those GP40-3's. The C425's, the RS3's are all safe I have been told. the old D&M locos are all running good with the exception of the 975 which hopefully will get its new Prime mover soon.
Why are the M420's so disliked?
Regarding the C425's, I read elsewhere that 281 has been running 25 years without an overhaul-which hopefully it will get soon.

#451113  by Patrick

Well, my experience with the M420's was that they loaded very slow, pulled like crap, transitioned slow, and are horrible for switching. But I think the railroad may have different reasons for getting rid of them. and yes.. its true.. the last major overhaul for both the 281 and 381 that I know of was at hornell NY before the D&M got them.

#451128  by thebigham

Patrick wrote:thanks for linking to my site LSRC msn groups. So heres some other news regaurding the LSRC. ALL former CN M420's are for sale or have been sold and are waiting to leave the property. LSRC 2003 returned today as a GP38M. 1195 sadly will proabally be scrapped unless someone like the DL&W buys it. look for many more EMD units comeing this way, about 5 or 6 more of those GP40-3's. The C425's, the RS3's are all safe I have been told. the old D&M locos are all running good with the exception of the 975 which hopefully will get its new Prime mover soon.
Thanks for all the news, Patrick!!

#451740  by Patrick

took a look at the whole site there and it needs badly to be updated as far as rosters go. other than that it looks like a good site.

#458025  by Patrick

I wanted to let you alco lovers know.. get your pics now. I can't say more than that yet, but as soon as I can.. I will.