Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1573033  by twropr

After returning to daily operation, consists have shrunken. 49-05 had only 44 axles by the DED leaving Syracuse. That's 9 cars for 449/49: 1 LGE and 1 CO fr Boston, 2 COs, 1 LGE, 1 DN, 3 sleepers and 1 BG fr NY.
Wonder how many passengers are being turned away?
Andy
 #1573179  by R.B.Phillips

Even though Amtrak is busing 449 and 448 people to and from Albany, it appears the Boston sleeper and cafe are at the front as before....
 #1573202  by jonnhrr

R.B.Phillips wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:46 am Even though Amtrak is busing 449 and 448 people to and from Albany, it appears the Boston sleeper and cafe are at the front as before....
It will be interesting to see what happens when 448/449 are restored as of June 18th.

Jon
 #1573209  by J.D. Lang

CSX's work window on the B&A is M-Th till June 17th. I'll be on 49 out of NY on Sat. the 12th. Sundays 449 only had the sleeper, cafe, and 1 coach as it went by the Palmer webcam.
 #1573270  by johnpbarlow

According to the Amtrak Service alert re: the annulment of 448/449, it's MBTA trackwork causing the annulment.
Track Work Affects Lake Shore Limited Trains 448 and 449
Effective Monday - Thursday, May 1 - June 17, 2021
Track work being performed by MBTA will affect Trains 448 and 449 on Monday through Thursday, May 1 through June 17 between Albany and Boston, as follows:

Train 448 Albany - Boston Service
Train 448, which normally operates between Chicago and Boston, will terminate at Albany. Alternate transportation will be provided to the missed stops of Pittsfield, Springfield, Worcester and Boston South Station. No alternate transportation will be provided to the missed stop of Framingham.
Passengers ticketed to Back Bay will be bused to Boston South and then take an Amtrak or MBTA commuter train between Boston South and Back Bay.
Train 448 will follow the above schedule change on Sundays, June 5 and 12.
Train 449 Boston - Albany Service
Train 449, which normally operates between Boston and Chicago, will originate at Albany. Alternate transportation will be provided to the missed stops of Boston, Worcester, Springfield and Pittsfield. No alternate transportation will be provided for the missed stops of Back Bay and Framingham.
Passengers traveling from Back Bay have the option of boarding at Boston South or traveling on alternate dates.
 #1578475  by J.D. Lang

This past couple of weeks the Boston sleeper has been a VII sleeper on occasions. This is the first time I've seen a VII on the LSL. Also there was a VII sleeper behind the baggage car on 449 on one of those days probably deadheaded to Chicago. I wonder if they will be getting more which makes me wonder if the CAF order is done. Does anyone know? Thanks.
 #1578478  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lang, the site On Track On Line reports that twenty three of the twenty five V-II have been delivered.
 #1578507  by J.D. Lang

Mr. Norman,
Thanks for the heads up on the website, Very informative so I've book marked it. Anyway here is a screen shot from the Virtual Railfan Elkhart webcam of 449/49-18 at Elkhart this morning.

Thought that I'd post it because two 50 year Paint scheme P42s lead the V II sleeper.
 #1578647  by CNJGeep

daybeers wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm Isn't that the repainted New River VI sleeper?
Yes
 #1578662  by J.D. Lang

CNJGeep wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:20 pm
daybeers wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm Isn't that the repainted New River VI sleeper?
Yes
I didn't realize that some of the V I sleepers were repainted in the V II paint scheme. My apologies. Does anyone know if it was refurbished also or did they just repaint it? Aren't they going to overhaul some of the V I's at some point?
 #1578678  by bostontrainguy

J.D. Lang wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 am
CNJGeep wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:20 pm
Yes
I didn't realize that some of the V I sleepers were repainted in the V II paint scheme. My apologies. Does anyone know if it was refurbished also or did they just repaint it? Aren't they going to overhaul some of the V I's at some point?
From things I have read this is the only one that had its stripes redone and as far as I know that was all they did to it.