Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1567825  by gokeefe

That is absolutely bananas that this type of arrangement (sending baggage ahead of time) is allowed.

Sounds like something out of 1912 ... "Mr. Rockefeller's carriage and 38 steamer trunks of household goods including a small portion of the fine china and silver service were sent ahead of his arrival at Bar Harbor for the season" ...

Nice to know and thanks for posting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1567836  by eolesen

As crazy as it may seem, advanced baggage delivery has been a growing line-of-business since 9/11. Several companies have gotten into this space, including some who also do baggage delivery for airlines when bags are delayed.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to get to my hotel room and have all my bags already in place...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1567840  by David Benton

I sent my bike from San Diego to San Antonio by Amtrak Express , and went down to Mexico for a few weeks .
The agent in San Antonio gave me a bit of bollocking , Becasue he had spent time trying to contact me at the youth hostel I used for an address. but turned out he had been stationed in NZ in the USAF for servicing Antarctica, so we had a good yarn and all was good. I sent the same bike from Santa Fe to San Francisco by Greyhound when i was going off rails to Grand Canyon etc .
We courier luggage down to my parents place when we fly down , saves airline charges and lugging it into airports etc.
 #1567909  by WhartonAndNorthern

gokeefe wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am That is absolutely bananas that this type of arrangement (sending baggage ahead of time) is allowed.

[...]

Nice to know and thanks for posting.
It makes perfect sense since many stations on the Corridor can handle checked baggage but not every train can. If I want to take #95 from Newark, NJ to Richmond, VA, Amtrak gives me two choices:
1.) I drop of my bags the day before and Amtrak will hopefully put them on the Meteor or Night Owl so they get there before me.
2.)I drop off my bags at departure and pick them up the next day, hoping they came down on the Meteor or Night Owl.

(or other trains like the Carolinian or Star depending on when the bags were dropped off)
 #1567937  by Rockingham Racer

eolesen wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:15 pm As crazy as it may seem, advanced baggage delivery has been a growing line-of-business since 9/11. Several companies have gotten into this space, including some who also do baggage delivery for airlines when bags are delayed.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to get to my hotel room and have all my bags already in place...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I do too, but not for $200.00 [Miami-Honolulu]
 #1567940  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, whatever happened to your friend's trike?

With baited breath, enquiring mind wants to know.
 #1567974  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 am Mr. Wolf, whatever happened to your friend's trike?

With baited breath, enquiring mind wants to know.
No word. She tried to call Boston South Station and they had no clue. She has a Chicago claim number, and the bike should of been routed through to Washington at least. Any tips appreciated here!
 #1567984  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, best tip I can give her; don't check anything!!

I don't like having my luggage in the trunk of a taxicab or livery. I'm happy to "answer the five questions" that they still ask overseas and say with a straight face "I packed it myself; it has not been out of my sight", and on the flight it's in the overhead atop me.

I'm strictly of the "if you can't carry it, don't bring it" sect.
 #1567999  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 am Mr. Wolf, best tip I can give her; don't check anything!!

I don't like having my luggage in the trunk of a taxicab or livery. I'm happy to "answer the five questions" that they still ask overseas and say with a straight face "I packed it myself; it has not been out of my sight", and on the flight it's in the overhead atop me.

I'm strictly of the "if you can't carry it, don't bring it" sect.
Yeah, this one was she needed the bike while she was working in Reno, NV for her grandparents over the winter. She also got some snowboarding in as well.
 #1568072  by STrRedWolf

Update from the friend: The bike is still in Chicago because... the Lake Shore Limited doesn't have a baggage car, and Chicago's baggage staff were too lazy to tag it for transfer to the Cardinal and then to Boston on the overnight NEC.

The Boston South Station manager is getting PO'ed at Chicago's baggage handling because of how Chicago screwed up, enough to nearly threaten a few jobs.

So right now they're getting it on the Capitol Limited to get to DC tomorrow and then up to Boston on the 66.
 #1568079  by Gilbert B Norman

Not that she will "press" it, but might she have a claim against Amtrak?

Especially if she is one of these YUMPIES (Young Urban Professionals) who do not own an auto.

Maybe they will cough up a voucher or two. I wouldn't blame her if she never set foot on that sorry outfit again!!!
 #1568082  by Greg Moore

To late for your friend, but the Boston leg really needs its bag-dorm back!
 #1568093  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf. she and Amtrak entered into a transportation contract calling for "reasonable dispatach" of her person and her accompanying baggage.

They met that contract in so far as her person, but clearly not so far as her Checked Baggage.

I don't know this girl; but if she is a friend of yours, who has struck me as a "reasonable guy", I think she has a reasonable base to make a claim against Amtrak. I wouldn't blame her in the least if she never went near the that "sorry assed" outfit "worshipped" around here.

I for one, have seen the last of Amtrak (my Jan '20 Auto Train journey "did it") until such time I'm out in the Corridor (having gotten there from Chicago "on the bird") and I have reason to go somewhere else WITHIN the Corridor.
 #1568317  by StLouSteve

Slightly off topic, but now that daily LD service is returning post Covid, are we going to see the resumption of Baggage/Express service--or like diners on some of the east coast runs--it remains suspended?
 #1568362  by gokeefe

I'm guessing you will see a restart. The intent is to get as much going as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk