Railroad Forums 

• Lake Iliff

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#243409  by GOLDEN-ARM

Any indication of prior roads number, in the upper right corner? Looking for any lost and found LV stuff. Just curious......... :-D
 #243486  by purplezep

Dave,
Never knew there was a MM #72/0. I found #71/1 in Belvidere northeast of Mansfield Station. How close to G-Tower is #72? Walked through there in the fall and didn't see anything.
Paul
 #243652  by David

purplezep wrote:Dave,
Never knew there was a MM #72/0. I found #71/1 in Belvidere northeast of Mansfield Station. How close to G-Tower is #72? Walked through there in the fall and didn't see anything.
Paul
The marker is located on the right hand side after going under the road bridge. It is made of steel with a reflective number and slightly bent toward the ROW. It might be covered up with weeds and small trees. Mike Dimunno, who was with me at the time, took pictures of it. I might have one. He will post the pictures of the gondolas and MM when he finds them.
Also, right about that area, there used to be a wye that connected to the north of the PRR. It was taken out many years ago. If anyone knows the date when it was removed I would appreciate it.

#243678  by JJMDiMunno

Hi guys,
And here I come with the MP 72 marker evidence! This looks like something that was installed in the Conrail era...I'm not sure what the LHR style mileposts looked like, but this looks like CR / modern style. Link is below:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/LHR_MP72.jpg

For the approximate location of this milepost, please see the ZTS diagram below:

http://www.sjrail.com/DailyPhotos/Belvidere.jpg

Those gondolas at Belvidere were Conrail MOW gondolas, used for removal of track back when they were taking track out of the area. Looks like they may have been used for a kind of "rebuilding", before that track was taken out of service to the gas company over there. I did a trace on them, and back then, they came up as missing or "out of area", or "unknown location" or something of that sort...the numbers on the cars are still CR xxx xxx. They must have shoved them in there, and then never got around to pulling them out. They could go get them if they really wanted them, if anyone knows where they are...but I see no reason why they should care about a couple of old junko-gondolas that might not make it out if they tried to pull them anyway...

Those gondolas are located on track 273 on the ZTS map...

Mike DiMunno

#243726  by David

Beautiful, Mike---Thank you.
 #243827  by purplezep

Mike, Dave, thanks!
I did see that MM in the fall, thought you guys were talking about a cement one like all the rest on the line. Was up at Andover Junction today trying to find MM# 49 but unsuccessful. However, once
I got home, I saw from my maps that I didn't go in far enough. So another day I'm sure I'll find it.
Did find a whistle post for northeast bound freight trains, took 1/2 hour just to dig it out from the vines. This is a very grown in area.
Once I figure out how to post pictures here I'll do it!
Paul
 #244018  by NJ Vike

purplezep wrote:Mike, Dave, thanks!
I did see that MM in the fall, thought you guys were talking about a cement one like all the rest on the line. Was up at Andover Junction today trying to find MM# 49 but unsuccessful. However, once
I got home, I saw from my maps that I didn't go in far enough. So another day I'm sure I'll find it.
Did find a whistle post for northeast bound freight trains, took 1/2 hour just to dig it out from the vines. This is a very grown in area.
Once I figure out how to post pictures here I'll do it!
Paul
Paul,

This site has no are for you to post your pictures to. You will need to find a place like this http://www.railpictures.net/addphotos/

Let me know if you fine the MM in Andover. I will be heading there soon.

Ken

#244248  by purplezep

Thanks Ken,
Finally realized I need a website to post pictures. On the older threads looks like you were able to post the pictures right with the typed message.
Weather permitting I'm heading to Andover Junction again this Wednesday in my quest for MM#49. I have a pretty good idea of where it should be now, the tricky part is getting through the thick brush in that area. When you head up there look for the whistle post I cleared out!
Paul

#244405  by NJ Vike

purplezep wrote:Thanks Ken,
Finally realized I need a website to post pictures. On the older threads looks like you were able to post the pictures right with the typed message.
Weather permitting I'm heading to Andover Junction again this Wednesday in my quest for MM#49. I have a pretty good idea of where it should be now, the tricky part is getting through the thick brush in that area. When you head up there look for the whistle post I cleared out!
Paul
Paul,

Is the Mile Marker before crossing RT206 or after?

I will look for the whistle post.

#244412  by purplezep

Heading southwest (to Belvidere) MM# 49 is after Rt 206, approx 4/10 mile southwest of Sussex RR Crossing. I did a walk through in February when foliage was minimum, but didn't see it. There is a farm right there, could have been wiped away by plowing. Hopefully I'll find it tomorrow!
 #245273  by jmchitvt

The eastward signal for the L&H marked 72.1 was right across from the front window of G Tower. Don't remember where the actual MP 72 was.

The L&H mileposts as I remember them (been in VT since 1966) were angular concrete, MB on one side for Maybrook and BD the other for Belvidere.

#245333  by purplezep

Was 72.1 an angular concrete mile marker? It's definitely not there anymore. My val-maps from 1918 do not list a MM#72

#245504  by NY&LB

The cars are in yellow MOW paint, full of old rotting ties and who knows what else...one of the cars is "on the ground" at one end....without trucks.

#246225  by NJ Vike

purplezep wrote:Was 72.1 an angular concrete mile marker? It's definitely not there anymore. My val-maps from 1918 do not list a MM#72
Rats. I was hoping to see one there. I was going to go there this morning but it the weather doesn't look to good. This is about the only area in NJ that I haven't walked or drove by yet. The vegetation makes it almost impossible in this area :(