Railroad Forums 

• Lackwanna Coaches at Scrapyard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#221670  by KC2KNQ

I am sure this is common knowledge in the Scranton area, but whilst exploring yesterday near Interstate 81 I ran across a major truck scrapping operation. Near the rear gate of this operation were 3 stainless steel coaches which looked a lot like Phoebe Snow coaches pictured in several of my Lackawanna books.

It appears as though they had been used as offices for the scrap yard at one point or another.

Does anyone know about these coaches? Is anyone at the National Parks Service aware of these coaches?

Certainly they must be of great historical value.
 #221699  by henry6

If they were stainless steel then they were'nt Lackawanna or Erie. ALthough the EL did use former SF coaches for some commuter runs under NJT auspicies.

#221730  by KC2KNQ

My knowledge of metal alloys being somewhat substandard I was assuming they were stainless steel, but if I was right and they were, then I suppose they could not have been what I thought.

As I said, though, they did match pictures of Phoebe Snow coaches in several books I own.

The coaches don't appear to be marked or readied for scrapping and I assume they are in no serious danger. My concern is seeing that if they do have some value that an interested preservation society be made aware of thier presence.
 #221735  by henry6

Stainless is stainless...steel that looks like steel: silvery and shiney. DL cars were painted and cannot be confused with stainless steel.
 #221750  by Heidelbergbreaker

At one time there were some stainless steel cars that were to be used as a night club called the Ash Street Express. I don't know their origin. The club either never opened or didn't last long. They were located not too far from the DeNaples scrap yard. Incidentally they (DeNaples) now disassemble, store and recycle vehicle parts in the old Erie RR car shop.
 #221789  by wis bang

Heidelbergbreaker wrote:At one time there were some stainless steel cars that were to be used as a night club called the Ash Street Express. I don't know their origin. The club either never opened or didn't last long. They were located not too far from the DeNaples scrap yard. Incidentally they (DeNaples) now disassemble, store and recycle vehicle parts in the old Erie RR car shop.
I remember being in college and walking down to see those cars; they were brought in and were in the shed at the Scranton station. Later they were lifted from the EL line in Dunmore and assembled into the Ash Street place.