Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1584828  by photobug56

amtrakowitz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:27 am
R&DB wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:25 pm Mr Norman wrote;
But still, rebuilding almost 100 miles of present "Class 0" and 1 up to 4 just does not represent prudent use of public funds.
Absolutely right. The traffic isn't there. The travel time between Scranton and NYC by highway would be an hour faster.
The traffic is still there (otherwise Martz would be in the poorhouse) and anyone who thinks the interstate is faster at the important times of day has never had to traverse I-80 in western NJ st those hours. However, Amtrak's proposed "service" is anemic at best and evidently designed to make the notion a laughing stock.
You need both Amtrak and NJT service better timed to make this work.
 #1584844  by WashingtonPark

photobug56 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:31 pm
WashingtonPark wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:19 am
But still, rebuilding almost 100 miles of present "Class 0" and 1 up to 4 just does not represent prudent use of public funds.
Absolutely right. The traffic isn't there. The travel time between Scranton and NYC by highway would be an hour faster.
I remember being on a steam train trip to Tobyhanna over thirty years ago where a setup was in the station showing the exact same plan that is being pushed now. IMO the only thing this is good for is the politically connected study groups that receive millions of dollars to redo what has already been done.
So when this has been built, don't feel any obligation to utilize the service.
I'll never make it to when it might start. If you're over 40 neither will you.
 #1584874  by Gilbert B Norman

WashingtonPark wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:19 am I remember being on a steam train trip to Tobyhanna over thirty years ago....
Mr. Park, I can recall at the Tobyhanna Army Depot, circa '60, there were a good number of heavyweight Pullmans in storage. Wonder if they are still there?
 #1584880  by Tom V

photobug56 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm
amtrakowitz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:27 am
The traffic is still there (otherwise Martz would be in the poorhouse) and anyone who thinks the interstate is faster at the important times of day has never had to traverse I-80 in western NJ st those hours. However, Amtrak's proposed "service" is anemic at best and evidently designed to make the notion a laughing stock.
You need both Amtrak and NJT service better timed to make this work.
That's true for Scranton and Allentown services with Amtrak and NJ Transit as well as Reading service with Amtrak and SEPTA. The service expansions have to follow onto local regional rail expansion.

NJ Transit has the Andover project and has been trying to do the entire line to Scranton, their investments will help Amtrak and vice versa with NJ Transit benefitting from Amtrak's investments.

NJ Transit has the Hunter Flyover and 3rd and 4th track project on the Lehigh line to boost times and trains on the RVL. Those investments obviously go together with Amtrak's plan to service Allentown.

SEPTA has been trying to build out their network to Reading for a long time, Amtrak's plan obviously works with them towards that goal.
 #1584938  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 am Mr. Park, I can recall at the Tobyhanna Army Depot, circa '60, there were a good number of heavyweight Pullmans in storage. Wonder if they are still there?
The word you seek is no. Google maps shows a six track or so flat yard inside the gate. Not a single anything in that yard.
 #1585023  by WashingtonPark

Tom V wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 am SEPTA has been trying to build out their network to Reading for a long time, Amtrak's plan obviously works with them towards that goal.
That's interesting. Where did you hear that? I was at 1234 and a couple of employees there told me SEPTA had no interest in extending to Reading. I have no idea whether they were insiders or not.
Last edited by WashingtonPark on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1585049  by ExCon90

As has been reported before, unless Berks County wants to join the five SEPTA counties or contribute in some other way, SEPTA is not going to Reading -- and I think they're just as happy not having to deal with the dual-power problem. Hard enough figuring out what to do about Phoenixville.
 #1585912  by Dcell

Mark your calendars , Roseville tunnel rebuild is the key piece of this project

01/20/22 02:00 Electronic Bids Due: For IFB No. 20-089X, "FINAL DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, AND COMMISSIONING OF THE ROSEVILLE TUNNEL REHABILITATION AND ASSOCIATED TRACK BED WORK." General navigation, registration and solicitation review of www.bidexpress.com prior to actual selection of a solicitation for bidding is FREE. NOTE: Bid Express Fees Apply to submit a bid. The fee schedule is available on the website. IFB No. 20-089X Electronic Only via Bid Express - Conf. Call Dial-in Number: 1-862-294-4371 Conference ID: 771 881 178#
 #1590634  by lensovet

I don't have access either, but I looked at NJT's procurement calendar https://www.njtransit.com/procurement/calendar and saw this was due on 1/20/22:
Electronic Bids Due: For IFB No. 20-089X, "FINAL DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, AND COMMISSIONING OF THE ROSEVILLE TUNNEL REHABILITATION AND ASSOCIATED TRACK BED WORK." General navigation, registration and solicitation review of www.bidexpress.com prior to actual selection of a solicitation for bidding is FREE. NOTE: Bid Express Fees Apply to submit a bid. The fee schedule is available on the website.
If you click the row (discovered completely by accident), you can see that 3 bids were received from A. Servidone Inc. B. Anthony Const. Corp. JV, Railroad-Michels Joint Venture LLC, and Schiavone Construction Co LLC with prices of 43M, 48M, and 32M, respectively. Unless something is particularly wrong with Schiavone's bid, presumably they would be the ones to get it.

Note that "20" is the year, so this is the same contract they've been trying to bid out for over a year now.