Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1469490  by Roadgeek Adam

kilroy wrote:I don't know about that. I've often referred to him as an animal, a member of the mule family to be more specific.
Regardless, he has no power anymore. He did his damage, but he can't do anymore.

I still wish they'd consider this a Blairstown Branch and convert the section west to a rail trail to Hainesburg.
 #1474265  by pateljones

Troubling news. Roseville Tunnel project is not on the calendar of upcoming projects scheduled for construction bids. Word is the tunnel needs more rebuilding that originally thought and the construction money is not available.
 #1493319  by scoostraw

phoebesnow wrote:Anything new? Several local posters to a Facebook group I belong to claim that construction work has resumed on the extension to Andover.
What did these facebook posters say that they witnessed?

(Which facebook groups BTW? Curious)
 #1493754  by NJTRailfan

Absolutely ridiculous its taking so long. With all the mess NJDEP has made with the NJ Sierra Club they've really done alot of damage. At the very least if there was no interference this could've gone as far as Blairstown or atleast East Stroudsberg then PA would have to come up with the funding.
 #1493771  by Gilbert B Norman

From the one who wrote the opening chapter of this "epic", first, ask any real estate broker how the market is nowadays in Sussex County. The answer in "brokerese" will be "soft". I think you will find adequate documentation out there to support that position.

Possibly, but I think not likely, the "Amazon effect" could impact Sussex real estate. However, a rail commute would be circuitous at best. The "lowerlings" - you know those making $150K or thereabouts - likely will gravitate to "the Giland"; the "higherlings" can gravitate to Westchester and Fairfield and for all I know, "chopper" into HQ 1.5. If there is to be any kind of dedicated commuter service from NJ, it would be bus routed over the Goethals and Verrazzano to the HQ.

But if NJT cannot find enough qualified Train & Engine employees to operate the service they now represent to offer, "uh, not exactly" the time to consider additional service.

Finally, let us note Mr. Backshop's point; implementing a compliant PTC system is priority one. To the railfan community who envisions "Phoebe Snow off to Buffalo", keep those visions in place for the "next world". So far as NJT is concerned, this is "dormant".
 #1493781  by scoostraw

scoostraw wrote:
phoebesnow wrote:Anything new? Several local posters to a Facebook group I belong to claim that construction work has resumed on the extension to Andover.
What did these facebook posters say that they witnessed?

(Which facebook groups BTW? Curious)
You don't know the answers to these questions??
 #1493890  by andrewjw

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From the one who wrote the opening chapter of this "epic", first, ask any real estate broker how the market is nowadays in Sussex County. The answer in "brokerese" will be "soft". I think you will find adequate documentation out there to support that position.

Possibly, but I think not likely, the "Amazon effect" could impact Sussex real estate. However, a rail commute would be circuitous at best. The "lowerlings" - you know those making $150K or thereabouts - likely will gravitate to "the Giland"; the "higherlings" can gravitate to Westchester and Fairfield and for all I know, "chopper" into HQ 1.5. If there is to be any kind of dedicated commuter service from NJ, it would be bus routed over the Goethals and Verrazzano to the HQ.

But if NJT cannot find enough qualified Train & Engine employees to operate the service they now represent to offer, "uh, not exactly" the time to consider additional service.

Finally, let us note Mr. Backshop's point; implementing a compliant PTC system is priority one. To the railfan community who envisions "Phoebe Snow off to Buffalo", keep those visions in place for the "next world". So far as NJT is concerned, this is "dormant".
Can you explain what you mean in your post by "the Giland"?

Edit per Mr. Norman's clarification and Internet resources: *"Lawn Guyland" is slang for "Long Island" and *"the Guyland" became *"the Giland" ("the island").
Last edited by andrewjw on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1493936  by Nasadowsk

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Possibly, but I think not likely, the "Amazon effect" could impact Sussex real estate.
Not gonna happen. The folks that end up at an Amazon HQ in NYC are nowhere near (in more ways than one!) the folks that would want to live in Sussex.

To each their own, I for one don't mind being in a place where I have space, quiet, greenery, and a low risk of getting mugged or shot, or pushed off a subway platform (which seems to be all the rage with city-folk the these days..). So what if it's 'redneck', big deal. My only complaint is I could only tolerate the commute up 23 into West Milford - Sussex is another 1/2 hour each way i don't care to spend (though I could have gotten more house up there...)

As far as the cutoff? Put a fork in it. NJT shouldn't be in the business of recreating the Lacawanna, anyway. Especially not with the current state of dysfunction they have....
 #1494045  by NJTRailfan

IMHO I wouldn't call the Lackawanna Cutoff Dead but scaled back from the grand scale it was supposed to be? Yes. I myself don't believe at all that NJT Trains will go anywhere near Scranton. That imho should be Amtrak Trains. Even when Miss Phoebe Snow and Lake Cities along with the other name trains were running the best commute was three hours and 15 or 20 minutes at best. Now I LOVE TRAINS but as someone who lives in Dover and commutes back and fourth to NYP I sure as Hell don't want to spend that long one way going back and fourth in NJT Bilevels no matter how new. This calls for much nicer Amtrak Equipment where you have the option of upgrading to business class if you want to, access to the snack/lounge car for drinks, lights meals, snacks, even alcoholic beverages. Riding in a car where the interior is much nicer and seats recline to make the journey more comfortable and if needed can fit luggage/carry on large than a briefcase.

To Buffalo someone said? Again not via NJ Transit but last I checked the ex NYC Route seems to be better capable of faster speeds and it's more direct. I'll just be happy the day the Cutoff comes back an NJT Can atleast go up to East Stroudsburg perhaps Blairstown just to take the heavy traffic off Routes 10, 46 and 80 along with the back roads. The traffic is only getting worse in that area. The bus won't do much good when stuck in traffic. Seen and experienced that too many times on Lakeland and Martz.
 #1494058  by DutchRailnut

well since 1980's we got about one mile of track and some 348 pages of nonsense.