Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cut-Off Poll

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

When will they start to rebuild the Lackawanna Cut-Off?

7%
26%
15%
Later
28%
Never
24%

#4658  by Greg

It has five spans. I have re-posted a link to my DL&W photos on the Lackawanna forum, feel free to browse them.

#4676  by NIMBYkiller

NJTRailfan:

I still think there should be some express that make all stops to the NJ border, then non-stop to Dover, then non-stop to either Newark then Hoboken or just Hoboken with no stop at Newark...this would allow for a faster ride for those commuting to NYC and an option for those working in Morristown area to switch in Morristown

There'd still be those other trains too that make the local poconos service/express dover service(local to Dover, then Morristown, Summit, maybe Orange, Newar and then Hoboken)...this'd be primarily for those working in the Morristown/Dover area

#5656  by james1787

I don't see the cutoff happening for a very long time, if at all. I certainly would love to see it completed, as does anyone else. I agree with the opinion that in order for it to succeed, there cannot be stops in NJ... if any.. summit might be a possibility. I too feel that NJ Transit isn't exactly in a rush for this project because it really doesn't do much for them, it mainly benefits PA and the DOT. They should be the big 'Guns' footing the bill..

#9913  by EL nino

NJTRailfan wrote: Andover will not get the rail service on the cutoff due to the fact that the double track ROW is on a man made raised land that's about 50 or even 60 ft high.
The proposed station site in Andover is at grade with Roseville Rd

#9948  by Greg

Nino,

Where in Andover is Roseville Road at grade with the Cut-off? Last time I was up by the tunnel I remember it being about 30' above the roadway.

#9949  by EL nino

Within a 1/2 mile west of the tunnel the track is at grade with Roseville Road

#9964  by mikedc3

This photo was taken from the cut off a little west of the tunnel. See the straight line in the back? That is Roseville RD.

#10051  by NJTRailfan

NIMBYKiller, I agree with you. I'll bet there will be atleast 2 or 4 trains out of the 10 a day that will have something like that.

As far as the Andover Station goes, I do hope there will be a reasonable incline from the future parking lot to the road to even handle something like that. But it looks to me that they'll have room to have a good sized lot since it's out in the middle of no where. Hopefully a station about the size of Denville can be built but with high level platforms, reasoanble sized shelters and not those mini bus shelters and a bank of TVMS and pay phones.

#10098  by njt4172

So, apparently the new Andover Station will be located very close to Roseville tunnel? I don't understand the reasoning for building a station in the middle of nowhere....Why not just use the existing Greendell station, but call it Andover!?!

#10106  by Scrap The U34CH

The "Middle of nowhere" where Andover station will be is only about 1 1/2 mile's from Rt. 206 and the center of Andover. It's about a 4 minute drive to where Roseville Rd. is even with the CO. Greendell is a good 10 minutes and several miles from Andover. If you take Cr 517 out of Andover there is a 3 way stop a few hundred feet up. Go straight and make the first right onto Roseville Rd. The CO is about a mile up on the right.
 #17967  by Norb

As much as I would like to see the "Phoebe Snow" passenger train service restored on the Lackawanna Cut-off, why couldn't they also run connecting freight service between the existing Delaware Lackawanna and the Morristown & Erie RR using the "cut-off" tracks during off-peak hours ?

This would help reduce large truck traffic on Route 80