Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#944953  by Alcoman

reinhardtjh wrote:Noted on the Yahoo BuffaloLine group is that RRPX 85 is headed to the B&P shops in Butler for traction motor work. Repair time is estimated at two weeks.

John H. Reinhardt
Is 85 in service or listed on the roster for the WNY&P yet?
 #945409  by Sandy Burton

John,

85 was in the engine house at Olean for a 90-day inspection earlier this week.

Also there were 423, needs axle work, and 631 which apparently had a major engine failure.

Sandy
 #946220  by reinhardtjh

Posted on the Railfan.net forum 6/13/2011 by smtimko:
From official sources:

431 out of service---92 day inspection.
4262 Turbo failure. Replacement turbo on order.
4223 long term OOS. No current plans for restoration
631 prime mover damage, under evaluation. possible piston head, connecting rod and/or ingested valve.
636 main alternator replacement. Replacement on hand, not a high priority.
638 traction motor replacement. Replacement on hand.
RRPX 2338 Long term OOS. No current plans for restoration.

SMT
In addition Jim Cook(s) has posted Flickr links to photos taken in the BuffaloLine and LAL_RAIL Yahoo groups of pics of RRPX 85 running in the DFT early in June. Shots taken later this month have seen only 637, 41 and 43 without 85 so maybe they were just test runs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooks_fore ... hotostream - 85 leading
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooks_fore ... hotostream - 43 leading, 85 trailing

John H. Reinhardt
 #946283  by scottychaos

reinhardtjh wrote:Posted on the Railfan.net forum 6/13/2011 by smtimko:
From official sources:

431 out of service---92 day inspection.
4262 Turbo failure. Replacement turbo on order.
4223 long term OOS. No current plans for restoration
631 prime mover damage, under evaluation. possible piston head, connecting rod and/or ingested valve.
636 main alternator replacement. Replacement on hand, not a high priority.
638 traction motor replacement. Replacement on hand.
RRPX 2338 Long term OOS. No current plans for restoration.

SMT
In addition Jim Cook(s) has posted Flickr links to photos taken in the BuffaloLine and LAL_RAIL Yahoo groups of pics of RRPX 85 running in the DFT early in June. Shots taken later this month have seen only 637, 41 and 43 without 85 so maybe they were just test runs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooks_fore ... hotostream - 85 leading
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooks_fore ... hotostream - 43 leading, 85 trailing

John H. Reinhardt
thanks John..

I think 4262 is a typo, must mean 4264.

and why are 4264 and 4223 still being referred to with those numbers?
4264 became WNYP 427, and 4223 became WNYP 434 almost 2 years ago..
are they still lettered 4264 and 4223?

thanks,
Scot
 #946349  by RS-3

BTW, the 85 is numbered 85 and is in service out of Olean. (Entered service last summer but had some issues. Was back in service a few weeks ago.)

I understand the 428 has been making some break-in runs out of Lakeville (it will be staying on the LA&L who needs it more than the WNY&P) and painting may finely be starting on it soon.

RS
 #951835  by Sandy Burton

Today C-425 #428 should be making an appearance on the road train. So I was told yesterday during a brief visit to Lakeville. Unfortunately I had to be back in New Jersey for a meeting this morning so perhaps one of the locals can confirm that #428 did make it out of the shop and post a picture. It will be used in place of the #420 which is due for its 92-day inspection.

Sandy
 #987909  by PEIR

railwatcher wrote:LOCOMOTIVES for the LA&L Family Railroads

4 Axle Road Locomotives-

#4223 built as A C424 (3000hp to be WNYP#434)
#4228 built as a C424 (3000hp to be WNYP#435)

I think I have this all together now, thanks for your help in keeping it up to date.

Greg
These two are ex CP units. What was done to get them up to 3000hp?

Stephen
 #987947  by mandealco

Hi Stephen
For memory the 4223/28 were not uprated to 3000hp. What I recall is that a number of CP Rail's C-424s received Alternators from M-630s as they were withdrawn from service. I suspect this was an upgrade, but doubt the 424s were rated at 3000hp.

To spot the 424's that had this work performed, they received a third air tank, thus 2 on one side and one on the other. The logic behind this was the loss of the generator as a method of starting the engine. Alternator equipped Alco/MLWs generally used an air start system, so needed 3 air tanks. The other feature I've noticed is a raised section above the central air intake on the LHS. Have no idea what this was for.

Love the Alcos
Cheers
Steve
New Zealand.
 #988056  by Sandy Burton

Steve,

You are absolutely correct that 4223 and 4228 have NOT been upgraded to 3000 HP. They do have alternators from a six axle locomotive and an air start. I have this information from the CMO of the M&E where these locomotives iived before going to the WNY&P.

Sandy Burton
 #998314  by DODGEIT

I see that the last posting on the 428 was in July. Does anyone know it status and anyone have a picture of it after repainting. I followed this locomotive on the Seminole Gulf down here in Florida. If anyone has a picture please post.