Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, B&H, WNYP Train Movements 2010

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#844640  by scottychaos

Mike Stellpflug wrote:425 - 420 out of Lakeville this morning with 10 cars.
The Hunt Club had the hounds and horses out at Papermill Road.

http://callduckfarm.rrpicturearchives.n ... id=2205115

Mike
cool shot! :)
another caption idea:

"One horse meets twenty five hundred horses" ;)

Scot
 #859772  by alsorailfan

425 & 420 out of Lakeville with about 23 cars after 418 took me by surprise (when I assumed they were going to the north end of the yard after pushing some cars onto the road units) by heading up to the spur to the ---name I forgot-- to pick up cars. (Not the best shot from Bronson Hill Rd. as I didn't get there in time). So after photographing the road train at Papermill Rd.--the pick up at the grade crossing is MOW and more MOW by the siding as you'll see-- I headed back to South Lima Rd. and just in time to catch 418 rumbling down. And it was school buses time to return to the garage. (And that lot/building between the RR line and the bus garage is up for sale FYI). Then headed to Avon. No idea what they picked up/dropped off there. They did pick up 3 I htink cars from Howlett Farm. 33 cars by the time they rolled north. Had to cut the chase short at Martin Rd.

Chris

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan/10122010LAL#
 #860051  by Mike Stellpflug

Bonus morning out there today.
420 & 425 lead a 30 car train South from West Rush, where the train outlawed last night. The train was really roaring as it
fought the grade out of Avon, and I don't believe they ever topped 10 - 15mph all the way to Lakeville.
They passed #72 with a side dump car at Lakeville Jct. They also pulled up along side 418 switching the South end of the yard.
Power then went down and got the Northbound train, and left Lakeville with 32 cars, passing #72 again up at South Lima Rd.
Maybe alsorailfan will have pics posted later today. I'll try to process mine in the next couple of days.
 #860255  by alsorailfan

And then they switched Kraft. Took six tankers, picked up 6 covered hopper from Avon yard, picked up 4 hoppers from Howlett Farm bringing the cars total to 48. But wait! They also took a centerbeam lumber to Morse Lumber. After dropping it off, they locked up the engines and I went home.
Mike, nothing like a little pressure to get me posting :-) . Only had 375 pictures to shift through and No, don't know how I ended up with that many!!! :wink:

Chris

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan/101310LALMisc#
 #867497  by railwatcher

It was a three Alco day on the LAL, this 2nd day of November. Southbound from Avon towards Lakeville, I viewed #420 leading #425 and #418. Once the train was outta my sight and crossing the Spring Street bridge, it sounded like one of the locomotives, or all, openned its throttles way up and really sounded quite loud. I did notice a large plume of ALCo smoke produced at this time. Could one of these units be misbehaving?
 #867694  by the1jp

I was back in Avon at around 5:30 pm and caught the same train. The 418 seems to be loading faster than the 420 and 425 therefore it made at lot more smoke and noise. It was great listening and watching.
 #867798  by railwatcher

I thought I caught 425 a couple days before that, behind #420 and it looked like it was running dead, cant prove it, but it sure looked powered down. There were no lights on what so ever. No exhaust. Thought maybe there was an issue. When I saw the third engine on that move, I continued to think maybe they fixed a problem and had the extra locomotive just in case. No doubt the trains are bigger these days, (thank you Barilla) so maybe they needed some extra effort. I dont get to see the trains as much as I did in past years, I sure like seeing 425 and 420 on a regular basis.
 #868398  by the1jp

I caught up with Thurs Nov. 4 Southbound coming back into Avon village with about 30 cars.
Surprised to see the 420 leading the 418 only.
The 425 must of had problems as previously reported in this forum.
The crew dropped about 10 hoppers (probably for Howletts) and then continued south.
 #871028  by alsorailfan

425/420 out of Lakeville with 15 cars. Stopped to pick up 4 hoppers from Avon 'west' yard. Picked up an empty from Matthew and Fields.
Have pictures of new 'east' side yard siding. Use thumbnail view to find them. The rest are something either you've seen before or just static scenes (that I wish to preserve online in case something happens) and no need to bother with them. Enjoy!

Chris

418 switching, road units, yard scenes:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan/LAL111210

Avon yard:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan ... 10AvonYard