Railroad Forums 

• L Main thru A'town - Waterfront Project - Removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1377685  by carajul

I've been reading online that the Waterfront project at the old Lehigh Steel plant bought the LV main from RJ Corman and that the double and triple tracks are being removed from Hamilton Blvd north. I'm a bit confused - did NS sell the entire line to RJ? I was told by a rep at NS last year that they did not sell the row up thru Catty because the Cementon plant may use rail, so the DL rail trail had to go around the row. If the waterfront project removes the former main, that portion of the line is severed forever. Beside the cement plant in Cementon there were other potential customers. Can someone explain...
 #1377916  by pumpers

A friend who know the whole deal explained it to me a few months ago, and I don't remember a thing, except I do remember the tracks near the river in Allentwon are coming out for some housing development as you mentioned. Regarding a connection to further north, assuming RJC is keeping their yard by Linden St and Jordan creek, maybe they could just put some rails back down on top of American Parkway, and reclaim the Allentown Terminal RR!
Jim S
ALso, here is a link from November sounding like it was a done deal - http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-a ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw another link from Feb 2015 (when not yet final) that said the trail would start all the way up by Pine St in WHitehall, which is almost all the way to the Ironton trail. Don't know if that much is really happening, but it would mean those tracks by Rte 22 and north of there would be history too...
 #1378112  by carajul

Well I guess that really sucks because now the LV is completely gone. No more service north of A'town on the LV side ever. I didn't know NS sold the line to RJC. And I don't understand why NS refused to let the DL rail trail build on it in Whitehall near Catty yard since they said service may be restored to the cement mill in Cementon. I think that mill trucks the Cement over the river to the CNJ side for loading. The entire LV from A'town to Lehighton is now a railtrail. NS just up and sold it all last year.