Railroad Forums 

• L-H Survivors

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#165202  by Centurylover68

I am looking for a list and some pictures of surviving L-H engines. I know the list won't be long :( but I'd like to know how many survive.
 #165545  by trainspot

Century,
Here's the list:
Lima LS-750 Whitewater Valley 20 Cincinnati Union Terminal 20 Whitewater Valley RR & Museum (Parts, stored off RR until move can be financed)
Lima LS-750 Whitewater Valley 25 Cincinnati Union Terminal 25 Whitewater Valley RR & Museum
Lima LS-1000 Armco 709 Armco Steel 709 Whitewater Valley RR & Museum
Lima LS-1000 Armco Steel E-110 Armco Steel E-110 Illinois Rwy Museum
Lima LS1200 B&O 320 Baltimore & Ohio 320 Whitewater Valley RR & Museum
Lima- One more exists at a scrap yard in Ecorse, MI. The loco is either the TP&W #300 ( LIMA Demo #1000) or CUT #22.

The website for Whitewater Valley is:
http://www.eavaughan.com/~wvrrmuseum/displaysite

You can still go there and see an active Lima diesel!

A good photo site is:
http://www.morscher.com/category_thumb.mv

Scroll down to the search at the bottom & type in "lima"
Arnie has quite a few photos of them!
You can also do an "image" search with the RR and # of the locos on a search page like Google, etc.

#165892  by EDM5970

There used to be a Lima at US Pipe and Foundry in Burlington, NJ. I remember seeing it up against the fence in the '70s, stored OOS. Did that engine make it to the Whitewater collection? I've often wondered what happened to it.

NTD

#166609  by joydivision350125

Nicholson Terminal and Dock had two 1000 HP Lima switchers at least as late as 1985. Numbers were 16 and 22. 22 had a fresh coat of paint and appeared to be in excellent condition.

Does anyone know the current status of either of these units?
 #166695  by trainspot

As mentioned above:

Lima- One more exists at a scrap yard in Ecorse, MI. The loco is either the TP&W #300 ( LIMA Demo #1000) or CUT #22.

The TP&W unit was the #15, was most likely the one cut up already.
I'm not sure if the scrap yard uses the loco, or if it is there to be cut up.
 #168731  by joydivision350125

This outfit is located in Ecorse, MI so I guess that would be one of the NTD locomotives.
 #169786  by trainspot

Since I didn't cross-reference earlier!
The NTD #15 was the ex-TP&W, ex-Lima demo.
NTD #16 was the ex-CUT #22.
While not confirmed, I believe the #16 is at the scrap yard, as I found photos of #15 from about 10 yrs. ago, and it looked like it was being stripped of some parts, and 16 looked in great shape.

#170005  by SOU2645

CUT 20 was one of 2 sold to US Pipe in Birmingham Al. It was cannabilized and scrapped to keep the other running some 40 years ago. My Dad has the builders plate from it and pics of it sitting with no hood and on giant saw horses. I&O had a Lima in their early years and it should be the one that may survive as well - the US Pipe units are both scrapped.
Larry
 #234847  by lumpy72

Yes I&O #20 is USP&F (Birmingham) #40, which was CUT #20.

CUT #22 is NTD #22 and is believed to be still intact at Ecorse. The TP&W #300 unit is believed to be a frame only now. And yes, NTD #16 or TP&W #300 was originaly L-H Demonstrator #1000

#285372  by Tadman

An unidentified Lima is located near but not on the Whitewater - a decrepit mineral red Lima end-cab switcher is parked on an unused siding, past the end of operated trackage, on the ex-NYC Big Four in Brookville, IN - at the other end of the embargo between Brookville and Metamore, where Whitewater operates. The builders plate is gone, not of my doing. This news was current as of 2004.

#285637  by trainspot

Sounds like #20. Email me if you want me to send a photo of it I found online.
Tim