Railroad Forums 

• L&HR Videos

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#2077  by rfalcone

There were some threads started on the old site as to where to find videos on the L&H. I was wondering if, once we get our little flock back together, someone wouldn't mind posting that information again.

So far this new site seems to be working out quite nicely.

#7212  by wess

The only footage that I,m aware of is in a video titled Up From the Ashes, by Revelataion Audio- Visuals. It has footage of most of the host railroads before they became Conrail. The L&HR footage was taken in trhe Sparta Junction area, and showing a mix of C420s or Rs-3s. And moving along right smartly. This guy likes to use music during these wake service videos so there is no sound of engines being maxxed out or singing steel.

Ive been hoping to see more video surface over time, but it may be a harsh fact of life that this railroad may have been skipped. Someone make a liar out of me please

#7842  by rfalcone

Thanks wess.

This is one of the ones I was trying to remember. I want to say there is another one out there.

Rich

#7897  by Marty Feldner

rfalcone wrote:
I want to say there is another one out there.

Rich
At least one more that I'm aware of (and Rich, you need this one). Mark I Video, 'Memories of Steam in the Northeast - Vol. 2'...

Roughly a third of the tape is from 16mm B&W film of a 1939 excursion from New York City. Via New Haven, over the Poughkeepsie Bridge, to Maybrook, and to Warwick via the L&HR. Nice footage in Maybrook, and the Warwick yards. And- a nice passing pan shot, from the mainline bridge, of the Greycourt yards and station.

This link should take you to the Mark I page for this tape:

http://secure.sunserver.com/cgi-bin/che ... :prodV0099+

Enjoy.

#8440  by wess

Mr Feldner, even though I dont have an appreciation for steam, you havent let me down. There is another video Thanx, I,ll get it first chance I can

#10460  by MR.C-420

There is a nice piece of footage in vignetes of the CNJ vol 2 taken on the south end crossing over the del. river bridge and footage going north, including a cab ride in the Great Meadows area. There are also views of L&HR power (on lease to the valley) in 2 different lehigh valley tapes, Lehigh Valley on Pennobscot(?) Mountain, and Memories of the Lehigh Valley vol. 2. The Rise and Fall of the Morris County Central also has some footage of some C-420s pushing the MCC train during it's move to the abandoned Susquehanna track in 1974. Finally, there is a video put out by the Franklin Historical Society on the New Jersey Zinc Co. that has a quick piece of B&W footage of an L&H camelback pulling a string of ore hoppers out of the mine and under the bridge. Hope that helps
 #27719  by gawlikfj

I heard there will be a New Video from Clearblock early next year showing the L&HR,NH,& EL in Maybrook Yard.
Soon as I hear anything more I'll post it here.

#39804  by wess

I'll be looking forward to seeing it

#470460  by lehighandhudsonriver

I was at a train show and stumbled upon a dvd entitled "The D & H in the 80's" by Sam J Botts (SJB Productions). I think it necessary to document that this video (created from old 8mm) contains images of the LHR #29 renumbered as D&H #401. There are at least three different glimpses thru-out the video. She's-a-smokin!! The paint is unmistakeable, and the numbers and letters are painted over.
 #842018  by nysw3636

I happened to stumble upon two youtube links today involving the L&HR. They are clips from " Railfanning with the Bednars Volume 1 and 2 ", and show action I've never seen before. I can't seem to find any information for purchasing these videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are the links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvT_xjKk ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMuHbSO ... re=related
 #842109  by JhnZ33

nysw3636 wrote:I happened to stumble upon two youtube links today involving the L&HR. They are clips from " Railfanning with the Bednars Volume 1 and 2 ", and show action I've never seen before. I can't seem to find any information for purchasing these videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are the links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvT_xjKk ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMuHbSO ... re=related
Hi, I am the producer of those 2 DVDs. These contain the footage of the Bednar's (Mike, Keith, Danny and their father Joe). These two volumes focus mostly on the Lehigh Valley Railroad from 1965 to about 1970, but since the CNJ, D&H, LHR, LNE and Reading were quite present, used the same faciliites and were railroads (railfanning), they also appear in many places throughout the DVDs.

Also, Volume 3 is now available with volume 4 in the works. Volume 3 covers the early 70's just before Conrail, including a few wrecks on the LV and Penn Central action in Altoona, Horshoe Curve and Enola while Volume 4 covers the last waning days before Conrail and the beginning of Conrail. Volume 4, when available (probably early 2011), will show a wide range of motive power and lashups in eastern Pennsylvania.

For those interested in any of these Volumes, please contact me at Sharp316B at netscape dot net.

John
 #845847  by JhnZ33

By the way, dealer inquiries are also welcome.

JP
 #852946  by LNE655

I highly recommend these "Railfaning with the Bednars" videos to all readers of this forum. They are each about an hour [+/-] long and John has done an excellent job with the 8mm transfers that include music, sound syncing and narration [by Bednar himself in the volume 3]. Absolutely a must have for Anthracite RR fans. Spread the word.
 #872472  by Railjourner

I just recently picked up volume 1 of the Bednar videos and like it alot. There were more shots of the L&HR then I was expecting. For 8mm the quality is very good and in color. My only criticisms would be the lack of menu and chapters and I wish there was more info on where and what I was looking at (but then I think that about all my RR videos). Looking forward to purchasing some of the other volumes this holiday season.

ps. Does anyone know which of the other volumes has the most L&HR in it?
 #872531  by JhnZ33

Railjourner wrote:I just recently picked up volume 1 of the Bednar videos and like it alot. There were more shots of the L&HR then I was expecting. For 8mm the quality is very good and in color. My only criticisms would be the lack of menu and chapters and I wish there was more info on where and what I was looking at (but then I think that about all my RR videos). Looking forward to purchasing some of the other volumes this holiday season.

ps. Does anyone know which of the other volumes has the most L&HR in it?
The only other volume that has L&HR footage is Volume 2 and there isn't as much as in volume 1.

The sole reason chapters or menus are not employed is to make watching the DVD as simple as possible. Consider some of the end users who view these videos - most don't want to fumble with menus, they just want it to play.

As far as more detailed information on the content, Mike Bednar and I just recently discussed this and I am seriously considering redoing volumes 1 & 2 with narration to orient the viewer to the content. These revised volumes probably won't be available until sometime next year, after the release of Railfanning with the Bednars Volume 4 and the Lehigh & New England Railroad DVD.

John Pechulis
Media Services