Railroad Forums 

• L&HR Sugar Loaf station and caboose

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#749033  by Marty Feldner

I received word yesterday (from the new owner) that the Sugar Loaf station and caboose had been sold. The new owner is known to me; as he put it, he'd wanted to own the caboose since the first time he saw it as a kid.

The complex has been empty for a few years (the last tenant was a landscape supply company). He's putting a Deli into the station, and hopes to return it to its L&HR paint scheme; he's hoping for a March 2010 opening. As for the caboose (L&HR #10- one of only two to retain its original tongue-and-groove sheathing), he will use it initially for storage. His intention is to repair the deteriorating wood sheathing, and repaint it into its L&HR colors and lettering. I'll be able to help him with that to make it as authentic as possible.

In time he hopes to restore the interior (the bunks and some other things were removed over the years), and open it to the public.