Railroad Forums 

• Komoka ON Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#155583  by Conrad Misek

Hello Folks: Im planning a trip from Boston to the Toronto area this weekend, in my research I've come across several references to a railroad museum at 133 Queen Street in Komoka, ON. They have a Shay that I would love to see. Unfortunately all web links turn up dead. Does anyone know if this group is still in Komoka, or if not where, and if their collection is viewable?

THANKS MUCH, any reply will make my vacation far more enjoyable.

Regards
Conrad Misek
Quincy, MA USA

#155658  by Ken V

I'd like to help but I don't have much. All I can tell you is that the Komoka Railway Museum was listed as active in the Canadian Trackside Guide published in March of this year. I've never visited there.

If nothing else, there are the Elgin County Railway Museum and Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society, both located in the former Michigan Central Railroad shops in nearby St. Thomas, which I know are still very active (despite the rails that are are vanishing around them). There are no Shay's, but there are some other steam locomotives to see up close, and #9 maybe operating.

#155702  by va3ori

Aside from the museum, which I believe is still active, Komoka is a well known railfan location thanks to a diamond crossing of the CN and CP mainlines. There is a good chance you'll run across other area railfans and I think you'll find that they are knowlegeable and friendly. Have a great trip!

Ori
va3ori - va3xw
Toronto