Railroad Forums 

• Kodak engines outside the plant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1411107  by BR&P

If someone asks whether Kodak engines used to venture outside the gates, the answer would probably be "no". However, there's always an exception, it seems, and here's proof.

I'm not sure of the date, but it was 1964 or 1965. B&O was delivering a unit coal train and had a cut of probably 35 cars pulled north of Ridge Road. Memory does not recall if the road power was used that day or if the train was in charge of "the twins", the 2 1000hp EMD NW2 switchers. Whatever it was, the power had problems and could not shove the cut uphill and into Kodak.

After a lengthy delay, out from Kodak came GE centercab 6 and GE 70-tonner 7. They went across Ridge Road and north to the loads of coal. When all was ready, between the Kodak engines pulling and the B&O pushing, the train was lugged into Kodak. Since the Kodak engines did not MU, there was an engineer in each.

I THINK somewhere I have a shot of both engines together, but this digging out and sorting stuff is a long slow process. So for now, we'll have to be satisfied with this shot of EK7, taken looking westward on Ridge Road as they made their way to the train. Proper photo composition and framing were skills I had not totally mastered so one end is chopped off, but it's better than nothing. Enjoy!
2016-12-02 13.13.39 - Copy.jpg
2016-12-02 13.13.39 - Copy.jpg (187.78 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
 #1411181  by BR&P

nydepot wrote:Nice photo, Don.

BTW, #7 was a 95 tonner. Looked like a 70 with a thicker deck plate.

Charles
I stand corrected, Charles. Thanks!

BTW, I was premature in taking blame for cutting off the front of the loco in the pic. A peek at the negative shows I did indeed have the whole thing in, but it got cropped when the photo store transferred it to disc.