• Kazakhstan-Turkey

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by SRS125

I would think that anything that was part of the former Soviet Union would most likley be 5 foot gauge. Sents Russia its self uses 5 foot gauge as there standered width.

by george matthews

>>I would think that anything that was part of the former Soviet Union would most likely be 5 foot gauge. Since Russia itself uses 5 foot gauge as there standard width.<<

All these countries are trying to separate themselves from Russia and connect themselves to Europe. Therefore I wonder if the new line to Turkey will in fact be European standard gauge, as is found in Iran.

by SRS125

It would be intresting to find out. I wonder if anyone on this form lives over there? that could tell us more about this.

by Hoosier Joe

I noticed the link said it will be from Azerbaijan thru Georgia to Turkey,not to Kazakstan .

by george matthews

Hoosier Joe wrote:I noticed the link said it will be from Azerbaijan thru Georgia to Turkey,not to Kazakstan .
Yes, you are right. I think I had just seen a BBC tv programme about Kazakhstan. The new line is entirely to the west of the Caspian.

It would be interested to know if they can get through wagons from western Europe without gauge change, and have the possibility of joining up wqith the Iranian system later. The question of rail gauge is a modern continuation of the Great Game of the 19th century. This may be seen again if rail ever gets nto Afghanistan where there will be a choice betwen South Asian Broad, Russian Broad and Standard from Iran.