Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#896281  by R36 Combine Coach

Before the PA5s arrived, the 2-door cars were in the majority, with the PA1s making the bulk of the fleet (although most trains still had at least one PA4). Some PA4s (3-door) will remain as work units.
 #896536  by OportRailfan

I passed a set yesterday parked in the South St. yard that was 6 - PA4's, and 1 - PA1.

There's still some floating around the system.
 #896813  by Fan Railer

OportRailfan wrote:I passed a set yesterday parked in the South St. yard that was 6 - PA4's, and 1 - PA1.

There's still some floating around the system.
still waiting for those solid PA-4 sets.......
 #897037  by HBLR

For those parties interested, within a few minutes of each other i saw a car 177 and a car 150 today at newport. It seems the newark to world trade center line sees most of the new cars, while the 33rd street trains are largely an even mix, and the hoboken to world trade center trains seem to be whatever they have at the time in the morning when that service resumes throughout the day.
 #900966  by Head-end View

I rode an old train on the Nwk-WTC line in Mid-January. But on today's run at mid-day, no luck at all. New trains only............. I finally gave up after 4 new trains at Newark and rode NJ Transit back to Penn Station in 17 minutes. Got to ride their bi-levels and rode thru Secaucus Station which I'd not done before, 'cause PATH was always such a good sightseeing ride until now. It does not look good.......
Last edited by Head-end View on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #901146  by HBLR

Must be the timing. I've been on several older trains, at least one a day. Then again i do "reverse commute", to new brunswick in the AM to exchange place in the PM most days.
 #901620  by Amtrak7

HBLR wrote:Must be the timing. I've been on several older trains, at least one a day. Then again i do "reverse commute", to new brunswick in the AM to exchange place in the PM most days.
PATH turns the trains around. There is no real "peak direction", as people do commute from NYC to Newark.
 #902157  by HBLR

Yes however the traffic pattern is to new York in the am and from new York in the pm. Generally there is also a heavy crowd to Hoboken in the pm, and from hoboken in the am, though more dispersed over time, and not as packed as Newark - wtc.

The other day I spotted 2 on flatbed trailers waiting to be unloaded. I did not see the numbers.
 #903115  by HBLR

Today i rode in car 100, so that's still around.
 #904354  by Terry Kennedy

Saturday (2/26) afternoon around 3:30 PM I caught an older train from Grove St. to WTC. That evening around 9:45 PM I had one from 33rd to JSQ (via HOB). That train had several 100-series cars in it, which used to be unusual (there would normally be a single 1xx somewhere in the middle).
 #911260  by Head-end View

Does anybody know how many PA-5's are now in revenue service? The highest numbered cab-car I've seen was 5756 a few days ago.
 #911292  by HBLR

I could have sworn i saw a 5771, but it could have been me hallucinating on lack of sleep.
 #919368  by Head-end View

Today was my lucky day! There were 2 old trains running between WTC and NWK and I rode both, one in each direction. One consist had cars 840 & 868 on the ends. Also I thought I saw car #5778 in the Meadows yard. Does anyone know exactly how many of each car type (A & B) there will be. Looks like maybe they're getting close to the end of the order.