Railroad Forums 

• K653 nb at Teaneck on River sub with CN, BNSF

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#887281  by CPSK

Hi;
On Wed Jan 5 at about 15:45, I saw the K653 heading north at Teaneck near CP10 with CN and BNSF power. Too bad the lighting was terrible, or I would have gone back home to get my camera!
The train was all tankers.
Can anyone tell me where this train originates and destination, and what it carries? Does it always have foreign power?

Thanks

FW
 #887376  by csor2010

Most likely empty ethanol tanks returning from an NJ terminal. The loads usually originate in the Midwest (someone more knowledgable than me might be able to say where K652 comes from) and tend to be the best bet for foreign power coming east. Until recently CSX had been in the habit of switching the power in Selkirk but lately foreign units seem to be making it all the way to NJ. I don't think the trains have any set schedule; they tend to be run on an as-needed basis.
 #887446  by ckwwestshore

The train came from a K652, power from a K654. It is from Linden NJ (might be Sewaren), to CN Interchange in Chicago. What time did you see the train and how far was it from Selkirk? I might be able to catch it up here in Rochester.
 #887497  by CPSK

ckwwestshore wrote:The train came from a K652, power from a K654. It is from Linden NJ (might be Sewaren), to CN Interchange in Chicago. What time did you see the train and how far was it from Selkirk? I might be able to catch it up here in Rochester.
I saw it at MP 10.0 on the River sub, a long way from SK at about 15:45 on Wed.
 #888376  by CPSK

Hey, caught another "K" train today. This one was K654 southbound and it had two BNSF locos. This time I got a video. I'm uploading to YouTube now. Looked really nice in the snow.
I'm going to listen for the K trains from now on. Get some excitement back into my blood!

Here's the link to the video. Not the best quality, but I think the great BNSF power makes it worthwhile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHTQtGD ... er&list=UL

FW
 #891882  by ckwwestshore

Well, K678 went east today down the river with STLH 5651 and CITX 3066, should come back west as K679 soon. What does everyone think about starting an official thread for information and discussion about ethanol trains with foreign power on the River Line?
 #892559  by AMK0123

CPSK thanks for posting your video! I heard the BNSF power that day on the scanner but was unable to get out and see them. We already have a CSX River Line thread going with different information about the river line. You may want to post anything like foreign power, etc. in that thread.