Railroad Forums 

• K trains

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#110498  by nysw3636

Not all K-200 series trains are trash trains. There are a few acid and dirt trains...

ASD
 #110531  by crazy_nip

octr202 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:I still find CSXT to be the easiest to follow/remember, but that just might be since I've been hearing about it since I was about 12. Of course, the Conrail alpha code was even simplier
I dont really think so, it especially sounds rediculous and confusing to hear dispatchers try to call trains with symbols like LABGLASC or such nonsense like the railroads out west and like conrail used to do

a simple K651 or Q188 is much easier to negotiate. And the people who NEED to know what train numbers are what DO.

Seaboard System (through early CSX) briefly used the alpha codes for some time through the mid to late 80's

but I do agree, the NS system doesnt seem to make much sense to me
 #110540  by octr202

crazy_nip wrote:
octr202 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:I still find CSXT to be the easiest to follow/remember, but that just might be since I've been hearing about it since I was about 12. Of course, the Conrail alpha code was even simplier
I dont really think so, it especially sounds rediculous and confusing to hear dispatchers try to call trains with symbols like LABGLASC or such nonsense like the railroads out west and like conrail used to do

a simple K651 or Q188 is much easier to negotiate. And the people who NEED to know what train numbers are what DO.

Seaboard System (through early CSX) briefly used the alpha codes for some time through the mid to late 80's

but I do agree, the NS system doesnt seem to make much sense to me
Maybe I'm not remembering the whole CR system. I just recall the manifest symbols (i.e., BOSE=Boston-Selkirk). That was simple. I'm of course ignoring the TV's, Mail's, and all the various unit trains, which all had their own different systems.

In comparison, it does make CSXT's system look pretty well-organized.
 #111099  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:P is also used on the NEC as well, such as P2151, P2153, P099 and P174.
No it isn't.

#118245  by mmi16

Any system of Train Identification conventions that you use on a continuing day in, day out basis becomes second nature to those that use it. Changing to any NEW system breeds confusion.

The system of Train Identification conventions becomes a shorthand for the orign, destination and inline work for each train identification.

The Train Identification conventions of each Class I carrier have become ingrained in the carriers computer systems and are unlikely to change on a whim that is anything less than a merger or takeover of two properties.