Railroad Forums 

• K-4 1361

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#146075  by Centurylover68

In a recent issue of Trains I read of this engine being restored and running in fall. Does anyone know how its going or when the engine will be back running? Being a Pennsy fan I love to see it when they first fire her up.

#161637  by msernak

Some people say next year, some say in a few years. It is hard to say. I was at Steamtown last weekend and did see the cab outside which clearly sais 1361.
 #161984  by Agent at Clicquot

Hi all

From what others have told me, the 1361 project is awaiting the FRA's "rubber stamp" on a boiler patch. Once that's done, then the backhead can go back on and general reassembly of the engine can progress.

A milestone like that might pump new life into the project.

Personally, I'd be happier to see B&M 3713 back in steam. Maybe NKP 759, too. I was told 759 is too long for ST's turntable.

Isn't there a Jubilee (4-4-4) in ST's collection?

Agent at Clicquot

#162715  by rlsteam

Yes, they have a 4-4-4 that has been around a long time. I used to see it in New Hampshire back in the 1960s. A few weeks ago I saw it in the "yards" north of the Steamtown roundhouse. It looks a good deal the worse for weathering through the years.

#164366  by Centurylover68

Yes, being the PRR fan that I am I would love to see 1361 running. Steamtown makes me said seeing all those engines in such awful shape. They only have 3 guys working on the B&M engine. If they focused all their workshop on that engine they would have it running sooner. I personally would like Steamtown to fix up T-1 2124.

#168497  by CSX Engineer 98

Would this be the K-4 Steamer that was a display for years at Horseshoe curve...? If so I was present the day it got shipped from the shops on Flatcars in Altoona PA. and got it on Video I was the only one around that Late afternoon on a Buff trip to Altoona.....

#171302  by Centurylover68

Yes, 1361 is yhe K-4s from Horsehoe Curve.

#171591  by Long Island 7285

Was 1361 shiped on flats in '96'/97 to Steamtown? i remember seeing a boiler on a flatcar one of thoes years that resembled what i beleive was 1361. I was in Steamtown this Summer July '05 and seen 1361 in the backshops clearly waiting for that FRA "ok". i beleive they had to fabricate a new crown sheet and more to the back of the boiler.

the tender looked as if it needed work, witch i think they were doing and overhaul to it or so i was told by a volenteer.

#171632  by CSX Engineer 98

On May 10th 1996 between 7:30pm and 7:45pm the 1361's Boiler was on a Flat Car with the Tender also on a flat car.
The Drivers, wheels and Frame for the K-4 were in a Gondola the frame and wheels for the Tender were also in a Gondola. All 4 cars were coupled to the Conrail Executive car "Boston" and were being switched down the East end of the Yard at "CP Rose" and Put in a position that the cars were hidden from View.
I just happen to be in the right place at the right time to get the Move on Video. It looked like the Boys at the Juniata shops also did some work on K-4 and Tender in the form of Sand blasting and Priming, and possible Boiler work before they shipped them..?
 #176887  by Cosmo

I saw on a recent trip to Strassburg that the PRR Museum does, in fact, have a K-4 of it's own, albeit sitting outside with pieces missing otr missplaced, it still looks mostly intact! What I'd like to know is: how many other K-4's are left and where? Are these the only two surviving?
 #176920  by H.F.Malone

Yes, Cosmo, only those two.
 #176946  by Cosmo

Only two.... :( (sigh.)
Well, at least those two are in decent enough hands. Better than most of the New Haven's engines-(ALL thier steamers except one!) and the NYC's Hudsons!
Actually, I was downright impressed by how many PRR steamers were preservedat the museum! :-D I didn't realize there were THAT MANY left!
Nice going Pensylvania!!!

#187266  by NJTee

Steamtowne is working on the 1361, Boston and main 3713, Nickel Plate 759 Berkshire right.
When are they gonna get their own baldwin 060 #26 back on the rails. It has to be about 3 or 4 years since the crown sheet cracked. I know they fabricated a new one about September 02. The 3254 was down for a large part of the Summer, and last year the 2317 was down because of a bad bearing. Seems to me Steamtown is very slow to repair what they have, and quick to restore others engines.

#187283  by harmon44

Steamtown only does the work that money has been alocated to be done. NKP 759 is not being restored. At this time they have it inside with no plans to restore it. They feel it's too big for their needs. The B&M engine is being restored by a local historical group. Work progresses as they have the money. The same with the Pennsy 1361. They allow volunteer help , but not much is forthcoming.