Railroad Forums 

• Just got Open House invite for LIRR Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1401290  by NYCsped

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I received an e-mail inviting me to the Locomotive Engineer trainee Open House on September19th. I have a few questions..

How long after the cognitive and vocabulary test do we find out if we passed or failed? What kind of questions should I expect from the panel interview? Is there anyway to prepare for these exams? Perhaps practice flow charts or something of that matter?

Also, I have a speeding ticket from 4 or 5 years ago, as well as a traffic-camera speeding ticket ( didn't add any points on my license) from about a year ago. Will these effect me at all?

I am fresh out of college with a Bachelors in psychology, and I have no relevant experience in locomotives or trains. Realistically, what are my chances here?

Thanks in advance.
 #1401295  by ExCon90

Are the "Absolute-Clear" and other absolutes for use when there is a cab-signal failure en route and activated by the dispatcher, similar to the C-light under NORAC? And does the LI have any cab signals without waysides territory in service now? (Thanks for posting--first time I've seen the LIRR rules since the reintroduction of color-light signals.)
 #1401296  by NYCsped

LIRRcustoms.com wrote:Study both of those, knowing them verbatim forwards and backwards and you'll have a good chance of employment. Those two links cover only a small fraction of what you're required to retain.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely take a look at these. Will these help me at all for the open house exams, or are they more so for phase 1 training and so on?

Does anyone know of anyway to prepare for the open house exams? Any information/links would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
 #1401299  by PUMA

Hey Morisot,

I recently took the vocabulary and cognitive test. They give you little time to complete as many questions as you can correctly. I believe they grade you based on how many you got correct. So you have to work quickly and correctly. They tell you about an hour or so after the test whether you passed or failed. If you failed you have to wait an entire year to apply again. As mentioned in the other thread, the cognitive is accurate as mentioned. Its not hard but some questions are tricky. It almost feels like I was in English class all over again. Unfortunately for me I didn't pass it. I too have a college degree but that means nothing. I wish I had known a little more about the cognitive part of it, I was expecting different types of questions so it caught me off guard..

Just have a good breakfast, nights rest, and get there on time. Relax and don't over think the answers like I did because you will just waste time. Good luck!