• Junction City Mining C32-8 8466 soon to be scrapped!?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by TerryC

I just saw these photos and I can not believe that the only remaining C32-8 would be scrapped!! I just called them up and a nice lady said it was gone, they were aware of its history, and she does not know where it is going. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE IT IS GOING? Please respond.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=105043
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=109241
  by Komachi

"I just saw these photos and I can not believe that the only remaining C32-8 would be scrapped!!"

Well, Terry, being a historian, I too lament that a unique piece of railroading history is being cut up However, you realize that you can't save 'em all, especially when the price of scrap metal is what it is... that C32-8 is worth more in bits than preserved as a relic of GM production.

If anyone really wanted to save one, they would have attempted it before now. Other than the significance of the fact that the C32-8 was produced in limited numbers for a particular customer (Conrail), what attributes does it have that warrents preservation? Did it revolutionize railroading like the first ALCo./GE/Ingersol-Rand "boxcab" diesel, or the EMD FT? Did it have a new truck, prime mover, microporcessor design? Important questions to consider for preservation other than the fact that it is a "rare" and/or "unique" piece of equipment.

If you really want to save it, track it down, talk to representatives of various preservation groups, museums, etc. and get a movement started to purchase it from the scrapper.

Don't get your hopes up, however, as has been pointed out by many here on the boards, GE's are considered readily disposable and not worth the effort.

by AmtrakFan

I am sad to see it go.

by MEC407

That is rather unfortunate, but as Komachi stated, there's not much that can be done about it. It's worth more as scrap metal than it's worth as a locomotive. And even though it is an interesting piece of GE history and Conrail history, it was not particularly important to either company.

by ACLfan

Terry C:

See my response in the Short Lines / Industrials section of this site.

ACLfan