Railroad Forums 

• Journeyman Machinist, Amtrak

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1247618  by dequino67

Hey guys, I just received an invitation to test for a Journeyman Machinist position at Amtrak. Got a few questions....

1. Is there any reference material or book I can review to increase my chances of getting a good score? The test is on Feb. 11th. so I should
get crackin on it.

2. I was told (by the Amtrak HR rep for Los Angeles, where I'll be working) that this position is the same as Diesel Mechanic at other Class I rail companies. Is that right?

3. Do you know if there will be training involved? Or do they expect you to jump right in as it's a journeyman position?

My background is with motorcycle mechanics, and I have no experience at all with diesel engines. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm
inclined to think not seeing that I was sent the invitation. Just not sure if my experience will translate.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 #1251535  by dequino67

Okay... Passed the test and it was easier than I expected. Now I have an interview on Monday.

Question: What would be appropriate attire for the interview?

Normally I would wear dress shirt/tie/slacks, but this is at the yard and isn't an office job. Would jeans, polo shirt and boots be acceptable? Or should I stick with the shirt/tie?

I'm probably overthinking it, but what the hell, doesn't hurt to ask.
 #1251614  by mvb119

I showed up to my interview with a dress shirt, pants and tie, and I got hired. And I would do it again if I have another interview in the future. I think impression will go a long way for you. It doesn't really matter if you are working in an office or in the yard. I've worked out on the tracks and in the tunnels with my face and hands completely covered in dirt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm just saying to keep that in mind when you go to the interview.
 #1252258  by slchub

Dress shirt with a nice tie and business casual slacks. No suit.

Talk up your safety experience.
 #1252644  by mdr406

Yes, you want to dress nice, but you want to separate yourself from the crowd. I went on an interview with a freight Railroad for a similar position ( and got the job), I start very soon! There was about 15 guys, some wearing a button-up and jeans, others wearing suits and such.

I was the ONLY guy there wearing a pair of khakis and a sweater vest over a button-up shirt. Needless to say, I stood out among the other average Joes in jeans and slacks.

I also agree about your safety skills. Try to include safety in as many answers you can without sounding corny. I even included my documented safety record and HR notes from my current job, along with a letter of recommendation from the Safety & Security Manager at my current job.

Good Luck!
 #1252900  by dequino67

Interview went well. I gave nice, complete answers to their questions and dropped safety in as much as I could without overdoing it. Made sure to mention my 100% perfect safety record.

Just hope I did better than the other applicants.

Thanks for the advice guys.
 #1287619  by Railroadam

Just read your situation on your hiring process with amtrak. I live in boston and I was also chosen to take the test for the "machinist journeyman" . My test is tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. Not like there's much time but what kind of questions can I expect on the test? Multiple choice. Open ended. Or? More like mechanical aptitude. Any kind of help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
 #1309208  by dequino67

I'm guessing this is a bit late, but it'll be on mechanical aptitude and it's multiple choice. I found it to be pretty easy and finished the test well before time was up (yes, it's timed), but others were still working on it when the time was up. Depends on your mechanical experience I guess.
 #1397695  by DANIED

Hey everyone I have the test soon for the Machinist position at AMTRAK.

Does anyone know what questions the test consists of? I know hey'll be Mechanical Questions, but is there also Electrical/Electronic Questions? How about math? Just wondering so I know what Im walking into and what to brush up on!

Thanks for any and all responses!