Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1191082  by Thomas

How do Joint Ventures impact construction schedules?
 #1205426  by DaveBarraza

Could you explain the question a bit more? Not sure what you are asking...
 #1205588  by R36 Combine Coach

DaveBarraza wrote:Could you explain the question a bit more? Not sure what you are asking...
I think "joint ventures" are contracts in which multiple private contractors team on a project (such as Skanska), rather than NYCT in-house.
 #1205727  by Thomas

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I think "joint ventures" are contracts in which multiple private contractors team on a project (such as Skanska), rather than NYCT in-house.
Which is quicker?
 #1206174  by DaveBarraza

In a prefect world, contractors would never have to team up since every alliance carries with it some internal politics/ power struggles. JV's are formed when a project is very large, or when there is a high degree of engineering risk.

JV's bid on large projects to meet bonding requirements, or simply to meet the scale of work. JV's on a risky project spread the risk around between the multiple contractors. Sometimes multiple companies form a JV because they feel their strengths combine in a way that would be very difficult for competitors to match.

I don't think that JV's make contracts run any faster or slower than if a single bidder had won them.

...my 2 cents.