Railroad Forums 

• Johnson Avenue Yard on the Bushwick Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #771979  by Teutobergerwald

On a map in the Terminal Railroads topic, a yard is shown at the end of the Bushwick Branch called the Johnson Avenue Yard. This led to confusion in the LIRR Forum, but anyway, is this yard still at the end of the Bushwick Branch and used by the NYA? What is/was it's configuration? Thanks.
 #772247  by dukeoq

In it's hey-day, Johnson Ave Yard was a very active place. Thirteen tracks were team tracks and some of these were reserved for special customers. Miron lumber took two of these tracks every day
. Is that the building supply customer that Dogbert mentions?
When Brooklyn had several breweries, Rhinegold, Shlitz, Shaeffer, etc. a trucking co. could transfer covered hoppers of barley and corn to be forwarded to the brewery.
When the grain was spent, it was trucked back to Johnson Ave. to Farmer's Feed where it was converted into animal feed. Boxcars were loaded to these boxcars and sent up to Pnd to be sent off-line. When The breweries closed, so did Farmer'Feed. By the 1980s, less and less business was brought to Johnson Ave. but I'm glad to see that Miron is still getting cars.
 #772294  by DogBert

I'm not sure the current customers name but they are in there. The yard area these days I believe only consists of one track (at least that's what leads up to the fence - there is a fence now) but there's tons of bricks, blocks, wood etc back there.
 #788261  by Teutobergerwald

Yesterday, 03/25, work brought me to the area of the yard at the end of the line. Going north on Morgan St.?, looking to the left I saw the gate closed for the yard and all the various tracks. I didn't get a good look to see if anything was spotted in the yard, such as boxcars or flatcars. A glance to the right at the crossing showed a black UTLX tankcar spotted on a spur a few yards in from the street. I didn't know tankcars were to be seen on the Bushwick Branch. What customer is that and what do they receive, or ship out? Thanks.