Railroad Forums 

• John Treen

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#88514  by Cactus Jack

Sadly John L. Treen passed away after a battle with cancer sometime in the early 1990's.

#88776  by Lackawanna484

I believe one of the C430s was named for Mr Treen after his retirement.

That's a nice custom. At one point, NYSW had several engines with the names of long serving employees and retired people

#88846  by Cactus Jack

The NYSW named C430 #3000 after John

#91232  by Paul

I worked with John back in the late 80s. He was always a gentleman and compaired with most other NYSW managers, a light in a dark tunnel. Too bad the boys in Big Ferry (Cooperstown) didnt learn how to be human and they didnt deserve to stand in his shadow. Tell SoLow that even tho I delayed the train, I still got my shower. What a pinhead.

#107537  by NJ Vike

I'm so sorry to hear about John Treen. Whenever I think of the NYS&W, I always see his pictures in almost all of the NYS&W books.

How old was he?

Ken

#107805  by Cactus Jack

I don't recall exactly, being that it was a while ago now, but seem to recall he may have been about 62, give or take. I was hoping I could come across his obit, but so far haven't.

He was a real nice guy, and gave some excellent NYSW historical slide presentations

#107872  by NJ Vike

Cactus Jack wrote:I don't recall exactly, being that it was a while ago now, but seem to recall he may have been about 62, give or take. I was hoping I could come across his obit, but so far haven't.

He was a real nice guy, and gave some excellent NYS&W historical slide presentations
Jack,

Thanks. Yes, he certainly did. Every time I pick up a NYS&W book, there are either pictures, stories or acknowledgments to him for his assistance.

Ken

#107930  by NJ Vike

Otto Vondrak wrote:The 3000 is currently on the LAL in Lakeville, NY, and still lettered "JOHN L. TREEN."
I wish Lakeville was close so I can get a picture of this. Next time we head towards Buffalo, I will stop there.

Thanks for the information.

#107934  by NJ Vike

Paul wrote:I worked with John back in the late 80s. He was always a gentleman and compaired with most other NYSW managers, a light in a dark tunnel. Too bad the boys in Big Ferry (Cooperstown) didnt learn how to be human and they didnt deserve to stand in his shadow. Tell SoLow that even tho I delayed the train, I still got my shower. What a pinhead.
Paul,

Did you work the Southern Tier? Did you ever get to see some of the places he did?

I'm happy to say that the Paulinskill Trail Committee has done an excellent job in keeping the old ROW in good shape. I have followed the NYS&W on both the Hainesburg and Hanford Branch and can still follow the Hanford Trail.

The only puzzle is the Martins Station location. I can't seem to find any information here and it looks like it was removed in the 40s or so.

Ken

#109613  by Paul

Paul,

Did you work the Southern Tier? Did you ever get to see some of the places he did?
I started whith the track gang on the Sparta Mountain project, doing machanical work on the track equipmdent. At the time, the mechanical guys were working eighteen hour days, 6days and eight - twelve hours on Sundays, all at straight time pay. I left after a few months of that crap, then I ran across Dick Clemmons who was ex-D&H and the CMO of NYSW. He offerd me a job at the W/S round house. I was transferred up to Bing (with out my knowlege) in May (?)88. Walter took over ops on the D&H, we tried to organize a union for the mechanics and Powell let me go in July. One week later I was working for CR at Selkirk.

#109626  by NJ Vike

Paul wrote:
Paul,

I started whith the track gang on the Sparta Mountain project, doing machanical work on the track equipmdent. At the time, the mechanical guys were working eighteen hour days, 6days and eight - twelve hours on Sundays, all at straight time pay. I left after a few months of that crap, then I ran across Dick Clemmons who was ex-D&H and the CMO of NYSW. He offerd me a job at the W/S round house. I was transferred up to Bing (with out my knowlege) in May (?)88. Walter took over ops on the D&H, we tried to organize a union for the mechanics and Powell let me go in July. One week later I was working for CR at Selkirk.
UGH! How did you guys survive? What deplorable working conditions. No wonder why a union was needed. I hope things have changed.

#109686  by Paul

I was thankfully, fired, forcing me to make a needed change in working conditions. I started at $8.90hr, and left making $8.10hr, had a pay cut so Walter could afford that POS buisness car Otto Kuhler. A week later I was in the IAMAW at CR making $14.15hr. The ones who didnt know any better stuck around. The ones who had talent and skills went on to other railroads or differant jobs. Two guys I worked with bailed six months before me to CR, and I wound up working with them again at Selkirk. Another wound up out at Barstow with BNSF, one was sent to school at GE to learn the then new Dash 8s, and never came back after being hired by G.E. One went back to the A&S, two went back to CR at Holidaysburg.
Not sure where Scotty (who worked at Bing) wound up. Robinson, I guess still works at Utica. Like I said, those with tallent and skills left. One time he called us at WS to send up materials to do 92 day inspections. We sent him a box of penciles!
I love every once in a while running into him and getting my digs in. Ever wonder why when we started painting the SD45s yellow and black, the yellow didnt go up to the roof line like the Alcos or GP18s?

#109727  by NJ Vike

Paul wrote:I was thankfully, fired, forcing me to make a needed change in working conditions. I started at $8.90hr, and left making $8.10hr, had a pay cut so Walter could afford that POS buisness car Otto Kuhler. A week later I was in the IAMAW at CR making $14.15hr. The ones who didnt know any better stuck around. The ones who had talent and skills went on to other railroads or differant jobs. Two guys I worked with bailed six months before me to CR, and I wound up working with them again at Selkirk. Another wound up out at Barstow with BNSF, one was sent to school at GE to learn the then new Dash 8s, and never came back after being hired by G.E. One went back to the A&S, two went back to CR at Holidaysburg.
Not sure where Scotty (who worked at Bing) wound up. Robinson, I guess still works at Utica. Like I said, those with tallent and skills left. One time he called us at WS to send up materials to do 92 day inspections. We sent him a box of penciles!
I love every once in a while running into him and getting my digs in. Ever wonder why when we started painting the SD45s yellow and black, the yellow didnt go up to the roof line like the Alcos or GP18s?
Glad to hear you moved on. I sometimes day-dream working for the RR but it seems that no matter who you talk to, the complaints are the same -bad hours and being away from the family.

Oh, well.