Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1238717  by BigDell

I remember seeing this photo many many years ago.... always wondered if it was a "for real" story.... i guess it is!
 #1238728  by ExCon90

It is indeed a "for real" story. Go to Fallen Flags, New York Central, and see post by Otto Vondrak dated April 28, 2009, which announces publication of a book on the subject, entitled Flight of the M-497.
 #1239454  by kilroy

Santa has enough trouble maiking it through the train at the pace we run now. I don't see him doing it in 15 mintues on a jet powered train.
 #1239772  by EDM5970

The train speed has to be kept consistent with Santa being able to spend some quality time with each and every child. Up on the Naugatuck this season, with the Santa trains and the Northern Light specials, this translated into a great deal of four and five MPH running, on what is normally a 25 or 30 MPH railroad.
 #1239794  by kilroy

I'm sure NJT would LOVE to have us running at 5 mph in between their regularly scheduled revenue trains.

If we can get a section of railroad with nothing else running on it, NJT would be happy to run at 5 mph but there's no customer base in those areas so we operate at track speed.
 #1239819  by EDM5970

What Santa operation is Kilroy talking about? CMSL uses RDCs between Tuckahoe and Richland, but the last time I was down that way NJT wasn't operating that far South, only on the AC line. It has been awhile since I've been down there so things may have changed ;).
 #1239991  by kilroy

We run between Raritan and Westfield on the RVL.