Railroad Forums 

• Jersey City, Rutherford, Paterson Electric Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#67052  by sullivan1985

Back when this line ran across bergen and passaic counties, did the electric trolly lines actually have cross-overs built into the Erie tracks of the NY & NJ RR on Paterson Plank Road, the Main Line at Park Ave in rutherford and The Bergen County Cutoff at Paterson Plank road again?

Just curious, because I was looking at the map and found it hard to imagine another railroad with catenary crossing at-grade with the railroads.

The map it found at: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?a ... ID+rrmap))

#67171  by CarterB

Old timers in Wallington, Rutherford area tell me that the trolley/s crossed the mains 'at grade'. Not too long ago, E. Rutherford 'dug up' some tracks still in the street on Pat Plank Rd. near where it rejoins Hoboken Rd. when they did some pavement repairs.

#67301  by sullivan1985

CarterB wrote:Old timers in Wallington, Rutherford area tell me that the trolley/s crossed the mains 'at grade'. Not too long ago, E. Rutherford 'dug up' some tracks still in the street on Pat Plank Rd. near where it rejoins Hoboken Rd. when they did some pavement repairs.
Yeah i rememeber when they did that project, never knew the dug up rails... hmm... thanks for the info...
 #70174  by Rich T

There wasn't a Park Avenue trolley crossing of the Erie Main as the cars passed under the Hackensack Avenue bridge. The DPW garage at that location was the car barn however the front has been altered in appearance.
Park Avenue in East Rutherford was served by a spur from Paterson Plank Road.

#70200  by AndyB

Sullivan
If you recall the photo of Carlstadt Station I brought to the Club.
In the background you can see the Paterson Plank Road crossing with the trolley crossing.
The trolley wire was usually 18' so clearance was not a problem. If you look at photos of crossings the wire is usually in a metal frame that would still supply power to the car if the pole came off.
There was always a fight between the railroads and trolley companies about the crossings. Railroads usually went to great lengths to stop the trolley companies, like parking a loco at the crossing so the trolley company's work crew could not put in the crossing frogs.
Don't forget NYSME show opens this coming weekend
Andy

#70204  by AndyB

Just took a look at that map.
It shows a Rutherford Car House drawing at the bottom. Any one know its location?
I do not think this is the same carhouse that East Rutherford now uses as D.P.W garage. The map drawing shows it on the south side of the railroad, the D.P.W. garage is on the north side. Also, the D.P.W. was a car house for the line that ran from Newark to Hackensack.

#70224  by sullivan1985

AndyB wrote:Just took a look at that map.
It shows a Rutherford Car House drawing at the bottom. Any one know its location?
I do not think this is the same carhouse that East Rutherford now uses as D.P.W garage. The map drawing shows it on the south side of the railroad, the D.P.W. garage is on the north side. Also, the D.P.W. was a car house for the line that ran from Newark to Hackensack.
According to the map, the garage they have listed is indeed in Rutherford. The only thing I could think of is the DPW building for Rutherford that is located along Erie Ave. And if thats not it, maybe whatever used to stand where they are building that new parking/apartment complex was the old garage. Who know. I've searched forever for pictures, and the oldest photo i can find from Rutherford is an Erie boiler explosion picture when a train blew up in town.