Railroad Forums 

• Japanese/Chinese EMU/DMU

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#496058  by Thomas I

I found these pictures from an EMU in Bujun, China:

http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/archives/2007/05/

(No not the new blue EMU, please scroll one article down, I mean these EMU #101 and #113 seen on these black and white pictures...
:-D )

I've heard these are former South Manchurian Railways Jite 1 Multiple Units.

This surprises me, because the Jite 1 were DMUs and the Units on these pictures a clearly EMUs. Voltage should be 1500V=

If anyboy has some informations about these EMUs, I would like to read it!

And if we are in China now: http://railway.org.cn/seek/image/fuxun.jpg

Here is another EMU from the Fuxin Region, looks like "Made in the USSR", Voltage should also be 1500V=.

Has somebody informations?

Thanks!

Thomas
(Sorry for my bad English!)

#496340  by Sir Ray

Is that rail hobidas.com page japanese or chinese - I suspected Japanese, but ran it through the Bablefish Chinese-English translation first for some reason, and got some phrases translated (I seem to recall Chinese-Japanese sharing many logogram/characters) - then running it through Japanese-English I got a web error :(
Shame, as there were a decent number of pictures spread throughout that website that I'd like to read the captions (particular the I guess 1921 cream-colored station, the abandoned line in the woods, and the heavy-duty electric locomotives - OTOH, I think the Platypus-style Shinkansen are just butt-ugly and don't care much for them). Also it be fascinating to find the story behind that insane EMU interior design images, including baby cribs, lounge cars, curio cabinets, hobby horse heads, and apparently cat-stamp vending machines - that's gotta be Japanese!
Speaking of Japanese/Chinese EMUs, a lot time ago (15 years) I picked up Maxis A-Train, seemingly one of the few people in the US who did (to add to it's many problems, it's speed was apparently clock-based, so when on a whim I loaded it a few years later on my Pentium (from a 386), the trains just wailed around the track at incredible speeds, instead of the normal controlable speeds it was designed for - I just laughed my butt off) - anyway the game offered several different Japanese Commuter EMUs, apparently with many different characteristics; but the manual didn't list any of these characteristics or differences (except price, I think - and remember, forums like this one didn't exist in 1993, and no game FAQ websites either). That's another reason the game kinda sucked

#496353  by Thomas I

Ran it through Bablefish Chinese-English translation and Bablefish Japanese-English translation - thats what I've done too.

But there are not so many informations (or the translation was too bad to understand!).

#496421  by Sir Ray

Ran it again through Babelfish, and the Japanese-English translation on the 2007/05 archive always seems to crap out (some Japanese Curse words, perhaps) - however, the 2007/06 & 2007/07 editions work well enough in Japanese-English, no crashes.
Now, the quality of the translation leaves much to be desired, although you can usually get the gist of what's going on - whether it's a musuem piece or a restoration or some historical rolling stock or whatever (although tracing the 'Gasoline Road' line was a bit quizzical - was the original RR served by gasoline powered locomotives (my guess), or does the replacement vehicle road the gasoline one (I though most new japanese vehicles were diesels anyway).

#496496  by Komachi

Ray,

I tried replying to this earlier, but the server booted me off and I couldn't reconnect.

Anyway, as you've surmised, the page is indeed in Japanese. Don't ask me to translate as my Japanese is rusty and even with all my resources at hand, it would take me a year or two to decipher everything.

As for the "nursery on wheels," so to speak, it's part of the "family friendly" trains that the JR systems (?) have introduced. You can read more about them here...

Here's a link to another Worldwide topic, "Japanese Train Outfitted for Children..."
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46571

And a website with a blurb...
http://deputy-dog.com/2007/12/09/ever-b ... this-nice/

#496517  by Thomas I

Sir Ray wrote:Ran it again through Babelfish, and the Japanese-English translation on the 2007/05 archive always seems to crap out (some Japanese Curse words, perhaps) - however, the 2007/06 & 2007/07 editions work well enough in Japanese-English, no crashes.
Now, the quality of the translation leaves much to be desired, although you can usually get the gist of what's going on - whether it's a musuem piece or a restoration or some historical rolling stock or whatever (although tracing the 'Gasoline Road' line was a bit quizzical - was the original RR served by gasoline powered locomotives (my guess), or does the replacement vehicle road the gasoline one (I though most new japanese vehicles were diesels anyway).
I now for what it is uesd, the EMUs are used as worker commuter trains in large industrial complexes in Northeastern China.

The words not translated by Bablefish are mostly in Katakana.

Katakana is a Japanese syllabary often used für locomotive series or types designation.

So Jite 1 as designation for the South Manchurian Railways DMU is written there ジテ1 and ist not translated to Jite1 by Bablefish.

The Jite 1 was a gasoline DEMU-4, built in 1935 for the South Manchurian Railways. He was diesel powered (500 HP Sulzer 6VL25 or 500HP Niigata K6D).

But the pictures show clearly that it is used now as EMU.
Last edited by Thomas I on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#496523  by Thomas I

5 Minutes later I have my answer by translating ja.wikpedia with bablefish.

In 1949 the KZD (State Railay of the Peoples Republic of China) rebuilt the Jite 1 formations as EMUs and used these EMU as worker commuter trains of the Bujun coal mine.

And there they are working until today.

But where built these and when? http://railway.org.cn/seek/image/fuxun.jpg