Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#843316  by Howiew

There was nothing in the web site regarding the accident. My guess is that the train could have gone too fast to stop and overran the bumper.
 #849560  by frankie

I would venture a guess around the early to mid-50's. Anyone know when the Standards stopped running on the Jamaica line?

BTW, I would love to see a photo of where the truck landed! I just hope there were no cars beneath it considering that this area of Jamaica Avenue is a high traffic thoroughfare.

Frankie
 #851749  by Tadman

Was the truck sheared off at the bumper or did it fall off? I know now that FRA passenger train cars are mandated to have bolted kingpins rather than gravity kingpins, but this train is neither FRA-compliant nor contemporary.
 #851817  by railfan365

frankie wrote:I would venture a guess around the early to mid-50's. Anyone know when the Standards stopped running on the Jamaica line?

BTW, I would love to see a photo of where the truck landed! I just hope there were no cars beneath it considering that this area of Jamaica Avenue is a high traffic thoroughfare.

Frankie
The Standards ran until sometime in 1969.
 #852854  by HBLR

Maybe the motorman thought he was still in coney island on a bumper car?