Railroad Forums 

• Israel's Modi'in Railroad

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#520725  by takebackourtemple

Who on this forum knows anything about Israel's Modi'in Railroad? It looks beautiful. Express tracks are rare to see. Especially in the desert.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _rail1.jpg

Modi'in Central Railway Station
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

תחנת הרכבת מודיעין מרכז
Israel Railways
Station statistics
Address Modi'in, Israel
Coordinates 31°54′3″N, 35°0′21″E
Structure underground
Tracks 4
Parking no
Other information
 #520739  by Hebrewman9

takebackourtemple wrote:Who on this forum knows anything about Israel's Modi'in Railroad? It looks beautiful. Express tracks are rare to see. Especially in the desert.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _rail1.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

תחנת הרכבת מודיעין מרכז
Israel Railways
Station statistics
Address Modi'in, Israel
Coordinates 31°54′3″N, 35°0′21″E
Structure underground
Tracks 4
Parking no
Other information
This appears to be part of the high-speed Tel Aviv-Jerusalem line currently being constructed. Israel Railways didn't even serve Jerusalem until a few years ago, and their only service there is on a slow route. Apparently the new route they are constructing has been opened between Tel Aviv and Mod'in.

#520836  by pennsy

The track construction and ROW appears to be state of the art, how about the engines and rolling stock ? The photo shown indicates most likely Diesel operation, but there might be some areas with electric operation.

#521017  by Hebrewman9

pennsy wrote:The track construction and ROW appears to be state of the art, how about the engines and rolling stock ? The photo shown indicates most likely Diesel operation, but there might be some areas with electric operation.
I believe 125 mph electric service will come later in the project, but otherwise, I'm pretty sure Israel has never had an electric railroad.

#521018  by pennsy

Not even a third rail system, either a subway or elevated ?

#521041  by Hebrewman9

pennsy wrote:Not even a third rail system, either a subway or elevated ?
This was a country barely developed at all until the 20th century. You're talking about cities that are either very recent, or ancient. There is a lightly-used cable car subway in Haifa called the Carmelit (shortest subway in the world), but otherwise, Israel is a bus country.

They have done a major reinvestment in their railways during the last decade. A relatively small amount of Israelis own cars, so a subway would be ideal in large cities- however, Israel doesn't have many large cities. Tel Aviv has around (I'm guessing) 2 million inhabitants, but it's a newer city built on the ancient city of Jaffa. The area around ancient Jerusalem is quite hilly, and near the volatile West Bank region. Jerusalem has less than 1 million inhabitants anyway.

The bottom line is that the expanding rail system will serve Israel's needs well enough for the time being.

#521364  by yacov

Does anyone have any pictures of this new station. It seems like a rail fan's paradise.

#521441  by george matthews

pennsy wrote:The track construction and ROW appears to be state of the art, how about the engines and rolling stock ? The photo shown indicates most likely Diesel operation, but there might be some areas with electric operation.
They use Danish high speed DMUs for their other express services. I am sure they will use the same for this line.
(An Israeli DMU was demonstrated on the Hiawatha line a few years ago. It would have been highly suitable, except for US rules on weighty trains.)

#521448  by takebackourtemple

yacov wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of this new station. It seems like a rail fan's paradise.
I'll have to take some when I go there. I'm waiting until the end of the Shmita year so I can plant trees.