Railroad Forums 

• ISO fellow railfan (John?) who gave me ride back to car after cabride in 1988

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1567241  by JBlaisdell

This is a longshot, but here it goes...

I believe it was 1988. A daylight freight was heading thru on a branch line somewhere between Albany and NYC, and a few of us were there to watch and snap a few pics. The train stops and a crewman climbs down. He offers a cabride if one of us buys lunch. I'm in! I get a front seat view to the main line, and one of the other fans graciously gives me a ride back to my car.

My payment to him was supposed to be a few slides from the cab. I never sent them, and have long lost his address. Well, I'm moving, and came across the slides. I'd like to settle the debt. Perhaps someone else knows the tale? Maybe he's here and will read this. I believe his name is John, he was probably in his late 20s. I was 21, with a blue pickup.

I've had to leave a few details out, because I don't want to cause trouble even though it was over 30 years ago. But if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
 #1567347  by BR&P

I admire your concern for not wanting to get the crew in trouble. OTOH after 33 years I can't imagine any way it's going to bite them. Any of those guys who were at least 27 years old quite probably have retired by not. Presumably that was Conrail, and CR has not operated there for over 20 years. Management sometimes can be petty, but it's safe to say they are in the clear at this late date.