Railroad Forums 

• Island/Combined Container to close in Wyandanch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1438266  by freightguy

According to Newsday Island /Combined Container is scheduled to close by October. I believe these are both the locations off the Wyandanch double ended freight. If that's accurate there would be no need for NYA to use the siding as both active customers will be gone now. Amerigas left the siding around 10 years now leaving only Paraco gas as the last active propane rail shipper on Long Island.

The article mentioned that Island/combined would shift their work to the Deer Park location. That may be Southern Container or a building nearby. The owner who acquired them is called Westrock.
 #1438388  by AlKaLI

Hello freightguy:
Island/Combined Container are in the same building in Wyandanch. One company used to take rolls of kraft paper and turn them into corrugated sheet for the other to make boxes.
Looking through Google, WestRock, ex RockTenn, exx Southern Container in Deer Park, apparently has been working to acquire Island/Combined. Now it looks like the deal has gone through and WestRock has quickly announced that it will be closing the old plant with a loss of 152 workers, and a customer for the NY&A. WestRock will probably salvage any good corrugating equipment, sell the rest, grab a few of the better employees and then sell everything else. WestRock in Deer Park, ex Southern Container, may see a few more boxcars of paper after they absorb the old customers but I don't think it will be a big increase.

Shame about the corrugated box industry. It was always a tough market and now on Long Island (NY&A territory); I guess that will leave what? two? [companies that actually manufacture the corrugated from paper rolls] WestRock and Norampac NYC in Maspeth although they want to sell the building and move (but to where? and with rail service?)
AlKaLI
 #1438422  by LINYARailfan

Its a real shame that another NYA customer is soon to be "gone the way of the dodo bird" Does anybody know how many carloads a week Island/Combined Container is currently taking? I know that they used to take 3-4 carloads almost everyday. Are they now down to less than three carloads a day at a time?
Does anybody also know when NYA will make its last switching move at Island/Combined Container?
Lastly what will happen to the building after Island/Combined Container vacates the property? With Wyandanch going through its "rising" stage do you think they will build more affordable housing apartment condos, or will another commercial business purchase the property? Only time will tell.
 #1438468  by freightguy

Supposedly with all the Amazon shipping and online retail the need for boxes has increased. However it seems like once a week another manufacturing plant closes on Long Island. I guess certain jobs at Island/Combined were unionized also. I guess more and more sidings will continue to disappear, but I'm sure the LIRR will use Wyandanch for track equipment and the occasional work train.

A bigger boondoggle with be the mini city just approved near Pineaire the Heartland project for residential housing and retail. So much for high paying jobs and industry. Probably will be really congested around Executive Drive and the Sagitkos when that's completed. Any sizable rail development will probably be left to Brookhaven Rail Terminal or the EPCAL site in Calverton. I'm amazed 30,000 railcars find their way onto the island the way manufacturing has left in the last 10-15 years!