Railroad Forums 

• Is this the SD45 story?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#242446  by U-Haul

(I am trying to keep this simple so do not tear me apart over details.)

Canadian National acquired Wisconsin Central, but there was one problem. It had locomotives suitable for a regional, but not for a class one. So, Canadian National proceded to run these "antiquated" locomotives into the ground since newer locomotives were more powerful and consumed less fuel.
Last edited by U-Haul on Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #242590  by emd_SD_60

U-Haul wrote:Why did Canadian National retire Wisconsin Central's F45s and FP45 so quickly?
Two words: Engine Failure. Komachi's right, they were retired before CN took over WC. Due to the cause I mentioned. Do your research why don'tcha?