Railroad Forums 

• Is this locomotive still on the roster?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#291876  by BM6569

I was cleaning out stuff and found an old picture of me (at age 6) sitting in the cab of a Maine Central GP9??? The picture was taken april of 1991. I'm not that good yet at engine id but the number on the cab is 258. Could someone tell me if this engine still exists, what type is it and is it running?
I'm not sure of the location, it's next to a brick building and I'm pretty sure it was taken in Maine.

I can post a picture if needed.

The engine is in the Maine Central livery and not Guilford but it is that style in black with an red? stripe.

Thanks for any help, Warren

#292016  by cpf354

If it was the 258, no. The only MEC GP 38 left on the roster is the 252, in Guilford paint, with B&M reporting marks no less!

#292032  by BM6569

How do i post the picture. I have it ready to post but do not know how.

#292171  by jwhite07

I was cleaning out stuff and found an old picture of me (at age 6) sitting in the cab of a Maine Central GP9??? The picture was taken april of 1991. I'm not that good yet at engine id but the number on the cab is 258. Could someone tell me if this engine still exists, what type is it and is it running?
As others mentioned, it was a GP38. While I don't have the dates of the transactions, after it was sold by Maine Central it had the following owners and road numbers:

Helm Leasing 258
New Hampshire and Vermont 3800
Helm Leasing 3619
Mackenzie Northern 2000
Mackenzie Northern 3873

It is listed as having been retired this year, disposition unknown.

#292414  by MEC407

BM6569 wrote:How do i post the picture. I have it ready to post but do not know how.
You can upload the picture to one of the many rail photo sites, and then post the link (address) here. NERAIL Photo Archive would be a good place to post it: http://naphotos.nerail.org/

#292982  by BM6569

Thanks
I am working on that right now. I'll be able to post some other guilford pictures I have taken in the L/A area.

#294856  by MEC407

It's hard to tell, but that might be the back side of the yard office at Rigby Yard in South Portland.

Cool picture and good looking locomotive.

#303408  by Jonny Bolt

I'm pretty sure 690 is still active. But there are more knowledgeable people here who can offer a definite answer

#303473  by MEC407

There is one SD39 that is still active, and it's either 690 or 692... I can never remember which one it is.

#303545  by mick

690 is still in service,it was at Ayer today.
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

#303698  by Dick H

"Waterville" is Waterville Maine. The principal shops of Guilford/PanAm are located here and the "dead line" there is often the last stop before scrapping, although Guilford has been known to remove locomotives from the dead line and do major repairs, getting them back in service. Guilford is very short of power. Rumors abound that they are shopping around for used power, but the 20 wide cabs numbered in the 500 series were the last locos added in the late 1990's.

Dick H