Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1204204  by NeoArashi

Depart from Quebec City very early in the morning, going to Halifax by train, Going from Halifax all the way to Vancouver, stay there a few days, going from there to Winnipeg by plane, taking the Winnipeg-Churchill train, stay there until the next train leave, to go back to churchill THEN take a plane from Winnipeg to Quebec, all within 2 weeks?
 #1215562  by Scoring Guy

I believe, since the change in the "Ocean" schedule, a straight through (no hotel layovers) from Halifax to Vancouver is only possible on day per week, and only during the summer schedule, so study the schedule and build the trip around that connection.
 #1215771  by marquisofmississauga

Scoring Guy wrote:I believe, since the change in the "Ocean" schedule, a straight through (no hotel layovers) from Halifax to Vancouver is only possible on day per week, and only during the summer schedule, so study the schedule and build the trip around that connection.
Indeed the Halifax-Vancouver trip can be done only once per week, but it can be done year-round. Departure from Halifax must be on a Friday, with arrival in Montreal Saturday morning at 9:15.The connection with #57 for Toronto at 10:10 is risky. I never book that one, but the later #61 at 11:50. There are even later trains that would make the connection in Toronto with #1 which departs at 10:00 p.m. The Ocean is often late into Montreal, sometimes by a few hours. As a point of interest, it's not possible to do the seamless trip from Vancouver to Halifax. An overnight in Toronto or Montreal is necessary.

VIA's printed timetable shows the Canadian running tri-weekly until the end of October. In fact the third departure ceases earlier. The last Thursday train from Toronto is the 10th of October.